framing a shed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say 16” or 24” for this shed will work fine. I personally would go 16” on something this small. You are only looking at 4-6 more studs building the whole shed. Maybe 30 bucks in studs difference.

The smallest pickup trucks are half ton you wont come close to being overweight with this project.

I would say 16” or 24” for this shed will work fine. I personally would go 16” on something this small. You are only looking at 4-6 more studs building the whole shed. Maybe 30 bucks in studs difference.

The smallest pickup trucks are half ton you wont come close to being overweight with this project.

I have an F150.
With all of the materials,

In the back of the truck is going to be:
my atv
ramps
3 5 gal cans of gas
3 2 gal cans of gas
200 lbs of sand
generator
compressor
tools
garden tools
lawn mower
wheel barrow

I will be towing my boat as well.

So, uhm, ya, I will get close to my limit of 4500 kgs. that is why I want to know the smallest amount, and the thinnest amount for the wood needed.

I'd use 1-5/8" steel studs, single top channel, lighter in weight than wood, and you gain 4" in interior storage, in both the width and length.

I'd use 1-5/8" steel studs, single top channel, lighter in weight than wood, and you gain 4" in interior storage, in both the width and length.

And the shed is more than double the cost. Locally, even Home Depot doesn't stock those. I would have to order them from out of town, and pay more than the normal cost of them due to shipping.

Just to recap....

Building a shed.
Want it cheap and use as little materials as possible.
Does not need to meet any building codes.
Want it to last about 5 years. Longer would be great. shorter would be annoying.

Home desperado can order anything on the market, delivered to the store.

I addressed your weight concerns.

Certainly there is a drywall supplier closer than, "mail order".

In the end, it's your time and money.

Home desperado can order anything on the market, delivered to the store.

I addressed your weight concerns.

Certainly there is a drywall supplier closer than, "mail order".

In the end, it's your time and money.

Except for commercial buildings, we don't frame with those metal studs.I appreciate the suggestion, but the cost is just not worth the weight savings.

I just did a quick lumber list for your shed.

Wood framed walls will cost about $100.

1-5/8" steel stud framed walls will cost about $80.00 and about 1/2 the time.

I just did a quick lumber list for your shed.

Wood framed walls will cost about $100.

1-5/8" steel stud framed walls will cost about $80.00 and about 1/2 the time.

Where are you located? I am in Sudbury Ontario.

I did the estimate, not remembering where you were, from locations in northern North Dakota, where they have substantial snow loads and build building throughout the winter, via steel.

Now that I know, I'll refine the estimate.

The OSB melded to the steel frame, as with wood, develops the strength of the structure.

KELLY LAKE has 1-5/8" steel studs and track in stock, and their price increases the cost of the steel stud wall by $10. I didn't price the wood.

I have an F150.
With all of the materials,

In the back of the truck is going to be:
my atv
ramps
3 5 gal cans of gas
3 2 gal cans of gas
200 lbs of sand
generator
compressor
tools
garden tools
lawn mower
wheel barrow

I will be towing my boat as well.

So, uhm, ya, I will get close to my limit of 4500 kgs. that is why I want to know the smallest amount, and the thinnest amount for the wood needed.

I lieu of this truck loading information and the prescribed life expectancy of the shed, I would defiantly recommend 24” OC.

I am even willing to extend a double your money back guarantee on my information if by any chance it is in error over the 5 year life of the shed. This is the best free internet advice I have ever offered and the offer is only good for the next 24 hours.

One last tip included in this offer if you order now. You can put some of the stuff in your boat if you are getting close on the truck load.

Latest posts

Back