Framing a window

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I am finishing the interior of a building. On one wall there is an octagonal window. I am installing insulation and then finishing the wall. The issue is the window frame is thinner than the framing wood. So, I need to build something between the interior wall sheeting and the window frame. What is the method to build it out?

Is the framing structural? Or rather, does it need to be that thick to support weight? If not, maybe you can trim it back a bit so the finishsed walling will be flush with that window?

I would just extend the frame with 1x, cut pieces with 22.5 degree on each end and extend the frame out .5 past the studs for drywall. After you drywall you will then need to frame out the full octagon with the same trim you are going to use in the room.

I don't see any window wrap. I would install window wrap, caulk from the front as per specifications and then I would also caulk from the rear as much as possible in case the front caulk fails. Caulk is cheap. Use it! This is not a window I would want to have to deal with future leaks on. Then stuff some insulation between the window and the framing all around.

With the type of installation you have, I would just trim out the opening with 1x finish material butted up to the window. Then caulk and paint.

Is the framing structural? Or rather, does it need to be that thick to support weight? If not, maybe you can trim it back a bit so the finishsed walling will be flush with that window?

Framing around the window itself is not structural.

I would just extend the frame with 1x, cut pieces with 22.5 degree on each end and extend the frame out .5 past the studs for drywall. After you drywall you will then need to frame out the full octagon with the same trim you are going to use in the room.

That's the plan. Wasn't sure if there was much more to it.

I don't see any window wrap. I would install window wrap, caulk from the front as per specifications and then I would also caulk from the rear as much as possible in case the front caulk fails. Caulk is cheap. Use it! This is not a window I would want to have to deal with future leaks on. Then stuff some insulation between the window and the framing all around.

With the type of installation you have, I would just trim out the opening with 1x finish material butted up to the window. Then caulk and paint.

Using the poly foam boards.

I like the framing out idea better than my suggestion. I wonder how hard it would be to pull the window to see if there is proper flashing/wrap for it though.. You might not always see it, but it makes me wonder and better safe than sorry.
I hope there will be update pictures of how this is fixed up.

I like the framing out idea better than my suggestion. I wonder how hard it would be to pull the window to see if there is proper flashing/wrap for it though.. You might not always see it, but it makes me wonder and better safe than sorry.
I hope there will be update pictures of how this is fixed up.

I can post pictures of it.
As far as pulling the window, I'd rather not. This building is separate from the house and I am insulating it to make it warm enough to be in it, not to make it wonderful in the coldest times.

This looks like a pretty nice building and not some decrepit old storage shed. I'm still concerned that op is getting ready to finish off an interior wall without the window being flashed. Maybe the flashing is there, but I don't see it in the photo. It's one thing to not flash an unfinished building since any water that comes through will be apparent.

Once that drywall is up, it's a bit late to try to fix a leaking wall because there is not any flashing and the water is trapped inside the wall and you don't find it until the wall has rotted away or is full of mold.

Here is a youtube that shows the proper way to flash and wrap a window:

This looks like a pretty nice building and not some decrepit old storage shed. I'm still concerned that op is getting ready to finish off an interior wall without the window being flashed. Maybe the flashing is there, but I don't see it in the photo. It's one thing to not flash an unfinished building since any water that comes through will be apparent.

Once that drywall is up, it's a bit late to try to fix a leaking wall because there is not any flashing and the water is trapped inside the wall and you don't find it until the wall has rotted away or is full of mold.

Here is a youtube that shows the proper way to flash and wrap a window:

Looks are deceiving. The structure is newer, but was poorly built. It is also located where our future addition will be so, either it is coming down or being moved. The finishing is to make it more usable till we do the addition.

Correct me if I am wrong, the flashing goes on the outside of the wall at the window, right?

The proper way to flash a window is shown in the youtube video that I posted above. Take a look at it.

It involves the outside of the window opening as well as the wrapping the same window opening at the sides, bottom and top. The purpose of this flashing (required by building code in most places), it to prevent water from entering the dwelling and channel any water that comes in contract with the exterior to stay outside.

Back