Framing in a new dishwasher

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdsrds123

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to be installing a new 18 inch dishwasher soon, as I work towards redoing my kitchen. My question is: can I provide support and attaching points for the laminate countertop by adding 18 inch furing strips that span the space between the sink cabinet and the end pannel? My concern is that there is not enough room. I read the specifications for total height of the dishwasher, and it seems that this varies because height is adjustable. Is this so? Cabinet spacing is always 34 1/2 height. Dishwashers often have a minimum height on about 32 1/2 inches. This should leave plenty of room for a 1X3 board nailed across the top of the opening over the partition framing, if I am understanding the specifications sheet. Can I do this and still leave room for the dishwasher to fit? Thanks!!

Hi, I'm going to be installing a new 18 inch dishwasher soon, as I work towards redoing my kitchen. My question is: can I provide support and attaching points for the laminate countertop by adding 18 inch furing strips that span the space between the sink cabinet and the end pannel?

Can you post a photo or projected floor plan for the cabinet layout?

If by "furring strip", you are referring to the spacer between the sink cabinet and the FEP, finished end panel, they are generally a 1x2 laid flat, so that when the appliance is installed the top of the door is close to the countertop lip.

My concern is that there is not enough room. I read the specifications for total height of the dishwasher, and it seems that this varies because height is adjustable. Is this so?

Correct, all appliances are height adjustable. In DW the toekick cover on the appliance is also adjustable.

Cabinet spacing is always 34 1/2 height. Dishwashers often have a minimum height on about 32 1/2 inches. This should leave plenty of room for a 1X3 board nailed across the top of the opening over the partition framing, if I am understanding the specifications sheet.

Aesthetics previously explained.

Can I do this and still leave room for the dishwasher to fit? Thanks!!

With ease.

If you are also changing the floor covering, what are those plans?

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses. I can add the 1x3s. I needed to know this as the design I intend is dependant on knowing. Front, back, and end panel furring strips. Flooring will remain the same, tile all around. Thanks guys!

Back