Framing out a Small Wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josheagan

Reaction score
Framing out a wall to make this porch into a mudroom. The width between the left post and right post is 70".

I want to put two 28"(or 32" but I don't think I can make that work) wide windows next to each other

There is also going to be a door on the far right. That may reduce the 70" opening by 1.5"

What would be the best way to frame in between the windows? 1 king? 1 Header or individual?

Attachments

• IMG_5339.JPG
    IMG_5339.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 11
Welcome.
There are 2 posts, and a gate. Where is the 70" from, too?

Inside of the Far Left Post to the post near the gate. That post most likely will need to be moved over 1.5" to fit the door. Reducing the distance to 68.5 inch for the wall with windows.

Thanks.
What are the posts supporting, by what means, or are they decorative?

the post on the left goes to the ground the one I want to move does not - so I am assuming it is more decorative than supportive. EIther way - there is an addition to the house supported by the brick wall on left and a pillar on the right

Attachments

• IMG_5340.JPG
    IMG_5340.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20130424150802796543000000-o.jpg
    20130424150802796543000000-o.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 14
Thanks.
In this photo there is something just below the pipe. Is that a break in the post and that above added?

It appears that the roof is not bearing on the posts, so you should not need a header, just a cripple wall above with a couple of studs, or a post between the windows, and a cripple wall beneath.

The pipe does not cut through that post. Not sure if you saw the shot from behind so reattaching it. That roof, or the addition above, seems to be completely supported by the pillar on the left of this photo and the brick structure on the right

Attachments

• F721AF89-2BE3-402E-AE04-2AC9E55B016C.png
    F721AF89-2BE3-402E-AE04-2AC9E55B016C.png
    151 KB · Views: 9
Thanks.
The panoramic view certainly would have been helpful, before I shot my mouth off.

If you intend to move anything, your 1st call is to a structural engineer.

Thanks for all of your help! Really appreciate the fact you have taken the time to answer. Stay safe - best to you and your family.

If it were mine I would leave the posts alone and assuming this is going to be an unheated space to use to enter the house and take off boots and such out of the weather. I would build a door or have one made the width of the gate and then add one nice size window centered in the other opening for air and light. Nothing fancy with the framing as it just has to hold the window.

You could also find a close to the right width wood exterior door and rip it down to fit.

I agree with Bud about fitting a door to the opening. As for the windows, you can get the size(s) you need made to fit the opening (vinyl). You can even have them mulled together and install as one unit, no need for a center post.

Back