Free standing tub curtain rod question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

bigk

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a freestanding tub, and I'm looking into mounting a curtain rod similar to this:

Way fair link (It's just a link to the item I'm interested in.)

Anyways, I've measured from the wall to the end of the tub to be 72in L x 31in W (as the tub is directly in the corner.) but all the oval-shaped rods are smaller than the tub's dimensions. I can't find a rod that is even remotely close to this size or am I missing something? Do I want it smaller?

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
You want it slightly smaller so the curtain hangs inside. We had the same problem in our upstairs bathroom that had a 100+year old claw foot tub. the one that was there was similar to the one you show and way too small and it made showering a pain.

To make matters worse our ceiling in that room has a compound slope so each of the drops had to be different lengths.

I made my own from PVC pipe and elbow tees and pipe caps. I think it is 1” pipe. It was the size that the curtain hooks would fit over with about a quarter inch space. For the ceiling attachment I took pipe caps and drilled a hole in the end and screwed them to the ceiling then put the rest together with PVC glue the clear stuff. Was cheap and I think looks ok. But best is it is roomy.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
Here's a youtube video of a diy rod. He made the rod larger so that the curtain slanted into the tub.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
My old house had a bathtub attached to two walls. If the shower curtains were not placed just right, we'd end up with a flood of water on the floor. Since I had two pre-teen girls using that bathroom, I finally ripped it around and installed a nice Onyx walled stand up shower. that made the bathroom bigger and solved the constant flooding problems. I know those stand alone claw foot tubs are the latest craze, so I'll shut up.