Free standing tub curtain rod question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigk

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a freestanding tub, and I'm looking into mounting a curtain rod similar to this:

Way fair link (It's just a link to the item I'm interested in.)

Anyways, I've measured from the wall to the end of the tub to be 72in L x 31in W (as the tub is directly in the corner.) but all the oval-shaped rods are smaller than the tub's dimensions. I can't find a rod that is even remotely close to this size or am I missing something? Do I want it smaller?

You want it slightly smaller so the curtain hangs inside. We had the same problem in our upstairs bathroom that had a 100+year old claw foot tub. the one that was there was similar to the one you show and way too small and it made showering a pain.

To make matters worse our ceiling in that room has a compound slope so each of the drops had to be different lengths.

I made my own from PVC pipe and elbow tees and pipe caps. I think it is 1” pipe. It was the size that the curtain hooks would fit over with about a quarter inch space. For the ceiling attachment I took pipe caps and drilled a hole in the end and screwed them to the ceiling then put the rest together with PVC glue the clear stuff. Was cheap and I think looks ok. But best is it is roomy.

Here's a youtube video of a diy rod. He made the rod larger so that the curtain slanted into the tub.

My old house had a bathtub attached to two walls. If the shower curtains were not placed just right, we'd end up with a flood of water on the floor. Since I had two pre-teen girls using that bathroom, I finally ripped it around and installed a nice Onyx walled stand up shower. that made the bathroom bigger and solved the constant flooding problems. I know those stand alone claw foot tubs are the latest craze, so I'll shut up.

Back