French doors vs sliding glass doors vs????

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, I procrastinate about everything and the older I get the more I procrastinate.

I saw some Accordion door / windows on an episode of "Rev Run's Renovation". They just slide all the panels on a track to the Left to open it up and have access to the patio, then lock it to the right... I want to inquire about something like that if I have a house built when the interest rates aren't over 100%.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3546728/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_2
Season 1, Episode 6

My home had a few sliders which the previous owner replaced with inward swinging french doors. Yes, they look nice but they can be kicked in with not much trouble. A slider is way safer and you can bar the slider so it only opens a few inches to allow ventilation. This is impossible with a french door.

My home had a few sliders which the previous owner replaced with inward swinging french doors. Yes, they look nice but they can be kicked in with not much trouble. A slider is way safer and you can bar the slider so it only opens a few inches to allow ventilation. This is impossible with a french door.
Agree 100%... but I usually, live where I have no neighbours and have never been broken into...
The last house had sliding patio doors all across the front... it was 2.5 patio doors. Took them out... Filled them in with walls and put in 6' French Doors...

Most doors can be kicked in. Some with only one kick, some require two or more.

Eddie. I agree but when a slider gets kicked in, it makes a bunch of noise. Old sliders could also be lifted off the track, but a good quality slider has safeguards. Now I love when both patio doors are open, but what does one do with a sliding screen? Even with both doors wide open, the screen makes it a single door opening.

Eddie. I agree but when a slider gets kicked in, it makes a bunch of noise. Old sliders could also be lifted off the track, but a good quality slider has safeguards. Now I love when both patio doors are open, but what does one do with a sliding screen? Even with both doors wide open, the screen makes it a single door opening.
Shannon's will open to screened porch.

I saw some Accordion door / windows on an episode of "Rev Run's Renovation". They just slide all the panels on a track to the Left to open it up and have access to the patio, then lock it to the right... I want to inquire about something like that if I have a house built when the interest rates aren't over 100%.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3546728/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_2
Season 1, Episode 6
These (total opening doors) are considerably more expensive than either French swinging (in or out swinging) (less expensive) or sliding doors (Least expensive). Weather resistance and crime resistance vary with manufacturer and locking system. When the glass is broken with any of the doors, you could carry a piano through the opening of any of the units.

My neighbor has French doors, and they are really insecure in my opinion. I can grab the door handles in the center and wiggle them enough to know I wouldn't get them. I grew up my whole life with the Sliders, they are much more stout. I don't have any experience with the Accordions.

Crime isn't really an issue here, plus I don't have expensive stuff.

My neighbor has French doors, and they are really insecure in my opinion. I can grab the door handles in the center and wiggle them enough to know I wouldn't get them. I grew up my whole life with the Sliders, they are much more stout. I don't have any experience with the Accordions.

Crime isn't really an issue here, plus I don't have expensive stuff.
I understand and agree. I put a large spring loaded carabiner thru the handles for extra security.

I have a stick that I use to prevent my sliding glass door from sliding for extra security. I turned a little knob for convenience in lifting the stick out of the track.

Back