frost on one side of the freezer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobc

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a fridge with French doors, with a freezer on the bottom, also with French doors and with 3 shelves on each side. This one, to be exact:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Haier-1...el-Fingerprint-Resistant-HRQ16N3BGS/300859002
We just discovered that the left side of the freezer has become heavily frosted inside. The top shelf has lots of ice on it, and some of the ice made its way down over the middle and bottom drawers. Everything inside those drawers is fine and has no ice, though. The right side also has no ice. Pics attached.

What could have caused it? And more importantly, what should we do to fix it? Is this likely to be due to a serious problem with the fridge, or is it more likely to be something simple, e.g. we didn't close the left freezer door properly at some point, and it was open for a while?

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• 20200502_205429.jpg
    20200502_205429.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200502_205433.jpg
    20200502_205433.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200502_205947.jpg
    20200502_205947.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1
It could be something as simple as the freezer wasn't completely closed. I'd try cleaning/defrosting the unit and seeing if it comes back. If it does return it could be the defroster isn't working properly. I'm not an appliance repair guy, so I'm just spit balling here.

Jeff1 over at handymanwire.com is my go to guy on appliance questions. He used to post here, but hasn't in a long time. You'll need to register, but it's free. Be sure to post the make and model number with your question. repairclinic.com has some good videos on various appliance issues and may have one on this issue. Appliance design doesn't change much between manufacturers so I'd watch any videos they have on your frost issue for ideas. Repair clinic is also a great resource for appliance parts. I've repaired a number of my appliances myself with advice from Jeff1 and repair clinic.

Latest posts

Back