Frozen latex paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuffy

Reaction score
I accidently left my gallon of kilz latex out in my storage shed so far this winter and it is frozen. is there any hope for it when it thaws out. I have brought it in side for the night to see what the morning brings. its 3/4 full I hate to pitch it on my stupidity and buy a new 1.help any thing I can do to save it please offer a lost idiot some hope.:help:

I accidently left my gallon of kilz latex out in my storage shed so far this winter and it is frozen. is there any hope for it when it thaws out. I have brought it in side for the night to see what the morning brings. its 3/4 full I hate to pitch it on my stupidity and buy a new 1.help any thing I can do to save it please offer a lost idiot some hope.:help:
I can't imagine what would break down and make it unusable.
I would bet it is shipped in cold trucks all over the north all winter long.

Drepends how long and hard it has frozen. Let it thaw out slow at room temp until it's completely thawed. Try stiring it. If it's lumpy or looks separated it's most likely toast. If it looks normal, you've dodged a bullet.

I've had some freeze and it was DOA. You'll know one way or the other as soon as you start stirring it.

It's one of the reasons I only use oil based primers.

The house we bought came fully furnished with dumpster load of junk. In the garage there are 100s of can and jugs of product a lot of it paint. Some of the cans had to have been frozen 100s of times over god only knows maybe 30 years. I’m slowly going thru them and 95% are getting opened and then tossed. I opened a full gallon can so rusty I couldn’t tell what it was and I saw oil on the top half. I stirred it for half an hour and it was a nice brown oil based paint. The back man door to the garage needed paint bad and the color was nice so I painted the steel door. The paint took two days to dry and it is one tough paint. I have painted all kinds of stuff in the garage with it. So you are right nothing like the old oils.

The place I worked used to sell leftover locomotive paint for $1 per gallon mostly parts of 5 gallon buckets. A friend was always buying it and locomotives are mostly bright ugly colors for home use. He had enough to fill a 55 gallon drum so he combined it all and it came out a butterscotch brown. He painted his pole barn, his truck, his wife’s car, his daughters car, his trailer, his lawn furnature, his deck….. you get the idea. People would stop on the road in front of his house and take pictures. Oh his mailbox also.

Nothing rusted.

In Ca. oil based in amount exceeding a quart are not sold, so I use the residue in the bottom of the can as the base for oil based cabinet stains. Old school.

They quit selling raw linseed oil here in bulk. But you can still buy boiled by the gallon. I guess too many people were spraying the bottom of their cars with it.

My dad used to gather black walnuts up and soak the husks in thinner and make stain. Mom would make cookies with the rest.

I guess the moral to this story is I should have bought an oil based primer. oh well live an learn.:rofl:

It's the humidity.

Very few years that the Grape Vein isn't snow plows first.

Back