Funny Road Signs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iu

In high school, my friends and I used to drive out to the boonies at night to look at stars (yeah, that's all we did ;)). We'd occasionally pass signs that said "Hidden Drive". My friend who plays the drums (the one I still jam with sometimes) once quipped:

"Why bother hiding the driveway if you're gonna put a big sign telling everyone it's there??"

As a kid we had a huge old time department store in the center of Erie Pa called The Boston Store. It was a city block and 6 stories tall with escalators. They had tall skinny signs 100s of them in front yards along every road leading to Erie. They were all marked different with the miles.

The building still stands turned into housing and the first floor a brewery. But The Boston Store has been gone for 40 years or more.

People still covet the signs and even reproduce them and have them in their yards. Mostly people my age that remember riding up all them escalators to the top toy floor to see Santa.

Now the younger people see them and say what’s The Boston Store? I tell them it is a place where when you were a kid you met your parents under the clock at noon. Really was a different time. How many parents would let their preteen kids roam around a downtown store alone now and meet up at noon for lunch. The cafeteria was in the basement and the milkshakes were amazing.

Attachments

• boston store.JPG
    boston store.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 0
  • under the clock.JPG
    under the clock.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
Last week our road was tar and chipped and they put a sign on each end saying (Fresh Tar and Chips) some neighbor took masking tape and blocked off Tar on both signs and one they put (Fish) and the other they put (Salsa) LOL.

When I saw this thread I went and looked out the window to find the signs down. So sorry couldn’t get a pic.

Don’t know who did it but seems retired people have time on their hands.

Believe it or not, the Asseff road is not photoshopped (unless you count me enlarging the image so it was visible). I almost hit the brakes while passing that sign. I said "The WHAT road?" Then I googled it to find out it really is a thing in Louisiana. LOL.

As a kid we had a huge old time department store in the center of Erie Pa called The Boston Store. It was a city

The building still stands turned into housing and the first floor a brewery. But The Boston Store has been gone for 40 years or more.

People still covet the signs and even reproduce them and have them in their yards. Mostly people my age that remember riding up all them escalators to the top toy floor to see Santa.
Thanks for sharing, that is so kewl... Awesome, love old pictures of places... Everything today in our world is so modern... Made by a machine, not by someone's hands...

1.jpg R.jpg

Believe it or not, the Asseff road is not photoshopped (unless you count me enlarging the image so it was visible). I almost hit the brakes while passing that sign. I said "The WHAT road?" Then I googled it to find out it really is a thing in Louisiana. LOL.
With that one I couldn't figure out the joke (I thought "maybe because the exit number is 169?") except that the name had the word @$$ in it. Surely nobody over the age of 9 finds that funny? It's a common way names start in some parts of the world. I knew a kid whose last name was Assar (I think his family was Egyptian), and I believe Assaf is a not-uncommon first name in the Middle East too. Even here in the US there's a pretty well-known company Asplundh, whose (frankly, hilarious) name is German I'm pretty sure.

In England instead of signs saying "For Rent" they say "To Let", and I see way fewer of them defaced by adding an "i" in between the two words than I'd expect.

With that one I couldn't figure out the joke (I thought "maybe because the exit number is 169?") except that the name had the word @$$ in it. Surely nobody over the age of 9 finds that funny? It's a common way names start in some parts of the world. I knew a kid whose last name was Assar (I think his family was Egyptian), and I believe Assaf is a not-uncommon first name in the Middle East too. Even here in the US there's a pretty well-known company Asplundh, whose (frankly, hilarious) name is German I'm pretty sure.

In England instead of signs saying "For Rent" they say "To Let", and I see way fewer of them defaced by adding an "i" in between the two words than I'd expect.
That would be because it is the Loo.

That would be because it is the Loo.
Years back, when working maintenance at Sears Canada, I got caught up with some English words... Once when a Lady was buying a dryer, she asked me if I thought if I took it out of the cardboard box if it would fit in her boot... I said I don't think so, judging the size of your boot and that dryer... We just kinda looked funny at one another...

Also when I was going for a smoke, and a coffee, this older gent stops at me and asks me where the Lavatory is... Sorry, Sir... But I don't believe Sears sells anything like that... I am sorry...

Go Figure

Back