Furnace Air Filter Direction arrow

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corbino

Reaction score
i need help solving which way my air flow is on my furnace. I am confused and am a first time homebuyer and need help confirming this is correct. Does this need to be flipped?

IMG_8075.jpg

IMG_8074.jpg

I believe this is facing the furnace right? Then it is properly installed right? just want to make sure the arrow is pointing in the right direction

IMG_8076.jpg

IMG_8077.jpg

Yes it looks right, it should be filtering air before it goes into the furnace.

Yes, but is that the air entrance to the furnace or the exit ? I am no expert, but I believe, more commonly, air enters at the bottom and exits at the top (hot air rises). May not have been room to mount air filter in the standard location. Turn up the thermostat and see which way air blows.

Yes, but is that the air entrance to the furnace or the exit ? I am no expert, but I believe, more commonly, air enters at the bottom and exits at the top (hot air rises). May not have been room to mount air filter in the standard location. Turn up the thermostat and see which way air blows.

And where would we find the filter in a down flow furnace?:p

thanks i was worried because the metal spring side is facing down towards the furnace and the soft material is facing up towards the vent.. Didn't look right but THANKS YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER!!

thanks i was worried because the metal spring side is facing down towards the furnace and the soft material is facing up towards the vent.. Didn't look right but THANKS YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER!!

If you are absolutely sure that is right put an arrow on the duct for the next time.:trophy:

i sure will. So it is facing the right way? You said it's facing the right way so i will mark it now Thanks boss!

You want the air to go through the filter before it hits the furnace. Given where the slot to put the filter is located I'd agree with Neal and the air flow is going down to through the furnace. Mine comes up from the bottom and my air filters go in the cold air return vents. The air will pass through the filter either way, the backside has a metal mesh that gives the filter some strength against the air-flow. When you pull the filter out in 3 months the dirty side will indicate the air-flow. The side that is dirty is where the air is coming FROM and should be at the base of the arrow not the pointy end. It really won't matter if you have it in backwards.

May i ask my slot gap is 16 x 22 i've measured but i CANNOT FIND THAT SIZE WITHOUT ORDERING online :confused: May i ask would this effect the furnace? I'm throwing a 16 x 24 filterin there and just wrapping the cardboard sides a bit to where it'll allow me to fit it in there. Will this damage anything?

IMG_8078.jpg

IMG_8079.jpg

IMG_8080.jpg

The part sticking out won't harm anything. You want it to fit somewhat snugly on the sides of the duct though to have all the air pass through the filter.

The previous one was a 16 x 20 which had a pretty wide gap that was making me nervous. I couldn't find a 16 x 22 specific so i grabbed a 16 x 24 and folded the sides until the correct one comes. I just purchased this home and i've needed to replace some things the previous owners had "half axxed". :mad:

You couldn't just cut it shorter and rework the cardboard end back on, some how.????? I think it will be fine.

Back