Furnace Blowing Cold Air

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechi

Reaction score
I woke up this morning to a cold house, the furnace was on but it was nonstop blowing cool air. I called a heating guy and he replaced a part but said by furnace is unsafe and setting off a carbon monoxide signal on his electronic gadget. He said the furnace needs to be replaced and under no circumstance should it be turn on so he turned it off. I'm now waiting for another guy to give a second opinion. Anyway the furnace I was recommended to install is an Armstrong, I never heard of the company. Anyone know anything about the company, is it any good?

Thanks for the link. Yes I know, the tech guy said it was by Lennox. The second guy came and he also said the furnace needs to be replaced. He offered the same furnace as the first guy but at a lower price so I decided to go with him but I'm now wondering if maybe I should have taken a little more time to decide. They said the problem is a cracked heat exchange but how am I suppose to know that's true? The furnace is about 10 and half years old, didn't expect to be replacing it quite yet.

Two separate techs from different companies provided the same diagnosis, sounds confirmed to me.

Many things can cause premature failure if the heat exchanger. Did the higher quote include the diagnostics and remedy of that issue?

What were the differences between the work preformed with the different quotes? Sometimes it’s not best to go with the lowest offer because they may not be including something important. If you haven’t asked those questions then you may want to follow up with both contractors first before proceeding.

10 years is short but it also depends on the quality of the unit that you have. Not all units are created equal. Some may only reach a 10 yr service life while others reach many times more.

I would suggest having them check your ducts and design airflow to make sure they can handle the CFM requirements that the new unit will have.

Thank you for the reply and the suggestions. The furnace we have now is a Carrier high efficiency. All they did was open up the back and look at it. They reset the safety mechanism to make the furnace start blowing heat and waited to see if the safety feature would kick in which it did after a few minutes and it was back to blowing cold air.

The first guy put a CO gadget up to the house vents while it was blowing heat, sometimes it went off and sometimes it did not. He showed me numbers on the gadget but I don't understand them, the numbers alternated something like between 002 - 003. He put the gadget up to the exhaust pipe outside the house and the number shot up to something like 007 and it was beeping. He also replaced a part, I don't know what it was but it was before he said there is a bigger problem.

As far as I know there isn't any difference in the work to be done, the second guy said the first charged too much and he kidded me that we're neighbors because he's not too far from me so he'll take less because he saves on gas, ha,ha.

Back