Furnace inducer motor replacement gets three red flashes

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Givemeasec

Reaction score
The inducer motor on my York furnace was running loud so I ordered a replacement. Put the new one in, but the furnace didn't start, and instead only repeatedly flashed red three times. I put the old motor back in and the furnace kicked back on and worked again (though was still loud). I assumed, since the furnace still worked with the old unit, that there wasn't anything wrong with anything else in the furnace unit (like the pressure switch, vent pipes, etc.), so I sent the replacement motor back and asked for another one. Just got that one but it's not working either (flashes red three times) If the old inducer motor still "works" does that mean that the issue is with the new motors (both from the same vendor) and that I should order from a different vendor? Or is it still possible the issue is something else?

Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
Three red flashes indicate the pressure switch is stuck in the open position. Possible causes include blocked vent pipes, blocked air intake pipes, faulty pressure switch or pressure switch hose or a faulty combustion air blower. Four red flashes indicate that a 24-volt fuse or the high-limit switch is open.
https://www.hunker.com/13408809/york-furnace-error-codes

Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
Three red flashes indicate the pressure switch is stuck in the open position. Possible causes include blocked vent pipes, blocked air intake pipes, faulty pressure switch or pressure switch hose or a faulty combustion air blower. Four red flashes indicate that a 24-volt fuse or the high-limit switch is open.
https://www.hunker.com/13408809/york-furnace-error-codes

Thanks, I'd already looked that up. Given that the old inducer still works, can I assume that the issue must be with the new ones that were sent? Seems like "blocked vent pipes, blocked air intake pipes, faulty pressure switch or pressure switch hose" would all prevent the old one from working, and not just the new ones.

Are you using OEM parts?
If not, does the new unit have the exact same specs as the old one?
Especially the CFM & RPM ratings.

Both units are made by Fasco and have the same type code and RPM. I didn't see anything about CFM on either one. I'm planning on contacting the vendor tomorrow to see if they might know what the issue is.

Back