Furnace Noise

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjmondry20

Reaction score
I recently had a new furnace installed in the basement in my ranch-style home. Everytime the furnace kicks on, the two rooms directly on top of the furnace literally shake. It gets rather noisy. I tried putting R-19 kraft faced insulation in between the floor joists directly on top of and around the furnace in the basement. It seemed to help, but not enough. Anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome MJMondry:
The new high efficiency frunaces are noisier because of draft motors and several other things. Yours must be an LP gas furnace and is doing some backfiring during the warm-up. Its time to call the installer and speak with him about some adjustments; no matter how noisy it gets it shouldn't shake the rooms above.
Glenn

Another thing to consider is adding an isolator on the supply trunk. It's a 2 or 3 inch piece of heavy reinforced vinyl that separates the sheet metal trunk from the furnace itself...greatly reducing vibrations through the supply system. It's probably not DIY, but could be a relatively quick chore for a professional.

This assumes there isn't anything wrong with the furnace itself.

Hey MJ:
Quattro is correct and I'm sorry I forgot the vibration isolation in the duct and any HVAC store can make that for you so you can install it.
Glenn

Back