Future proofing, you

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guzzle

Reaction score
heard it here first!

A way of comparing two projects with equal risk & considering only cost & benefit. Only one is to be chosen.

One project is running a cable some distance, the other is renovating a shop.

E is your estimate that you will need this done within 10 years or so, on a scale of 1 to 9 with 9 being more likely.

P is “proceed”, a higher value means you should proceed.

B is your perceived benefit which you assign on a scale of 1 to 9, with 9 being better.

C is your cost, on a scale of 1 to 9 with 9 being a higher cost & worse for you. You pretty well know what the time & material cost will be. The others are estimates, guesses, based on your experience.

So, P = ExB/C.

As E or B goes up you should proceed, as C goes up you should not.

Renovating my shop is more necessary than laying a cable so I assign E for the shop at 8 & E for the cable at 1.

Similarly for B, it’s 9 for the shop & 3 for the cable.

Finally for C, it’s 2 for the shop & 9 for the cable.

P for the shop is 8x9/2= 36.

P for the cable is 1x3/9= 1/3.

Do the shop, it’s not even a close contest with my numbers & estimate.

Note that your assessments of these values are almost certainly different than mine.

Adding risk is not that hard, for example the risk of my cutting a gas line while laying cable vs. wrecking my shop by removing a load-bearing column.

Can anybody think of a basic flaw in this idea?

Well, inspiration, does not always comply with innovation, so, latitude is a value, and my upgrade to the shop may need be tempered, if Elon gets off his butt, and develops the cyber truck/mars rover, + opens tourism, to mars.

A quandary, indeed.

Elon's proly in the DSM-IV. :(

I tweaked the values & now the cable comes out to 2.6 & the shop to 2 but for the cable to now be the front runner it takes some unrealistic estimates.

So, with this method you should be able to break any tie.

Gimme some real world values for any two projects for E, B & C & we'll see if this really works for the general public. For sure, I will learn something.

For space flight, my E is 1/100 & my B is 1/1,000,000 so my P is 1 over 100M. Thanks, Elon, but no.

I'm ex-NASA, Dr. Judith Resnick was on the second shuttle crash & I saw her once at the U. of MD. Little did I know.

You go, Elon. Make us proud. Stay there for a while, even! :)

Back