Gap between sidewalk and timber retaining wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotHandy

Reaction score
7379B482-C8BE-43D7-A841-7B1631636F26.jpeg 660E15E0-DC89-412C-B0C2-53B3673A0205.jpeg Hi, relatively new homeowner here. Admittedly not very handy either. I have a gap between my railroad tie retaining wall and the sidewalk above it that appears to be growing wider and causing the sidewalk to slant. I have no idea where to start, how to address this issue or who to contact if it needs to be repaired professionally.

Should I fill the gap with something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you live in a cold climate every winter the soil in that space will freeze and push the timbers over a smidgen. Then a thaw, then a freeze. Pretty soon you have a 2 inch gap.

Drainage will help and back fill with gravel. I would worry more about the cutouts where it looked like there was once posts. Those could be tripping hazards. Those should be cleaned out and repaired.

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

Thank you! I live in Minnesota so the freeze/thaw is no joke here. I have been meaning to address the post holes and this is just the push I needed. Thank you again!

I'm afraid your wall is reaching the end of life. I will bet it's leaning forward, meaning the weight of the material behind it is starting to push it over. Unfortunately, the concrete walk behind it will just make it difficult to do any work. Putting gravel behind it will help in the short term, but it's just increasing the load on the wall.

Back