GAP IN FIREPLACE BRICK

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbm328

Reaction score
our house has had settling problems in the past. today I noticed where the brick that raps the fireplace (gas, ventless logs) insert has a good size gap. the gap is outside the firebox. the fireplace was originally a wood burner, but someone previously installed NG logs. the chimney still has a screened but open top. in springtime, i'll try installing a cover.
thoughts on what I can use to seal up said gap between brick and frame ??1607278554198.jpg

do they make a "fire proof" insulation? I NEED to seal these gaps!!
I was thinking some fire proof insulation in gaps and then using Great Stuff Fire Block?
It was 35 here yesterday, with a 20+ wind and these gaps are like an air conditioner on full high!

SUGGESTIONS? COMMENTS?
Thanks, Rich

2 of 4 people didn't have nice things to say about this product. also, I've got some gaps I don't believe this would seal up. top of fire box to brick mantel is ~2"; along sides go from 1" to 1/2".

I guess I didn’t see the huge gap on the top. Sounds like regular mortar mix in the bag would be what you would want there.

maybe I need to be in the bricks section, but how do you force mortar UP into the space and have it stay there? all my brick work (VERY little) has all been horizontal.

If it were a spot like that I would get some hardware cloth like for a rabbit cage or some chicken wire and fold it up and force it in the gap staying just below flush. Mix the mortar kind of on the dry side and trowel it up in there. The wire should hold it until it sets and also give it some strength.

Put your mortar into a zip lock type bag and cut one corner; squeeze the mortar up into the gap, just like using a pastry frosting bag.

Put some mortar on a board and shove it up into the gap using a mortar gap tool... mortar must be mixed to correct consistency for it to stay up there... Romans were doing it 5,000 years ago...

I bought a bag of rock wool insulation and filled the gaps with it. that took care of my problem

Back