Gaps Between Air Register and Wall/Molding

Help Support House Repair Talk:

ccannon

Reaction score
In one of my bedrooms I just refinished the hardwood floors and installed new quarter round. As a result of the new quarter round I had to raise the air register so that it would sit on top of the quarter round. I was able to get the air register installed in the correct spot, but I had to cut away about 1/4" from the left and ride side of the molding and wall for the switch on the air register to work properly. The gaps on the left and right side seem a little too big for caulk or spackle and comprise the wood molding and sheetrock wall. What can I do to fill these gaps? Is there anything decorative I can add? Attache are pictures. Thanks in advance!

IMG_6916.jpg

IMG_6915.jpg

IMG_6914.jpg

Sparky617

Reaction score
Caulking will do the job. It isn't wide enough for foam backer. You want something that will move so I wouldn't use spackle or drywall compound.

ccannon

Reaction score
Thanks! Is there a specific type of caulk you would recommend? Perhaps painter's caulk?

Sparky617

Reaction score
I use Alex Plus from one of the big box stores. It is paintable. You don't want to use a silicon caulk as it is not paintable.

Latest posts