garage door opener does not respond to remote control in cold temperature

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmqmqm

Reaction score
Hi there.

My garage door opener remote control mechanism does not work in the winter. For instance, if the outside temperature is -20 C (-4 F). and inside my car is about 0 C (32 F), when I press the button on the remote control inside the car, the garage door does not close. I would have to come out of the car and press and hold the button on the wall inside of my garage to close the door. What could be the problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks a lot.

Paul

Not an expert, but I would guess that the remote might need new batteries.

Otherwise, you may need a new remote.

Do you have more than one remote? If so, do they all do this?

i also have a problem when it is really cold -20 or so. the door open just fine but when i push the button to close the door the door goes down but when it hits the ground it bounces back up again. I believe this is due to the ground freezing and expanding so that it is higher than in the summer. the door now thinks something is in the way and reverses it self.
so how do i go about fixing this?

i also have a problem when it is really cold -20 or so. the door open just fine but when i push the button to close the door the door goes down but when it hits the ground it bounces back up again. I believe this is due to the ground freezing and expanding so that it is higher than in the summer. the door now thinks something is in the way and reverses it self.
so how do i go about fixing this?

Adjust your "travel" and "force". Back off on both until it stays closed.

Not an expert, but I would guess that the remote might need new batteries.

Otherwise, you may need a new remote.

Do you have more than one remote? If so, do they all do this?

I believe this happens with both remote controls...

Latest posts

Back