Garage Door Opener Issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuaneF

Reaction score
Mine will open by hand...the motor stops running...I can help the door up, but once I release pressure it stops raising. Once I get it up and push the button to lower it goes all the way down then back up about 6 inches...I've lubricated the spring and mechanics and cleaned the track...what next?!?

The logic circuitry in the opener housing is telling the motor to do this for valid or invalid reasons.

The easiest thing to try is to clean the photoelectric sensors low down on each side of the track.

Next, you could mess with the internal adjustments but make note of where they are set before you change them.

Last edited:
By 'open by hand' do you mean with the trolley released or by helping it by hand?
How does it travel open/close manually?
Without knowing what type of opener you have, see if this applies: Unplug the operator and remove the outside cover. Inspect the nylon gears inside the operator and see if there are any shreds of plastic or missing teeth on the gears.
What is the brand (not that matters much, there pretty much all chamberlins)?
Is it chain drive, belt drive, worm gear?
How old is the unit (could be just a bad motor which cost almost as much as a whole new unit)?

Back