Garage door opener LED bulbs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I just had to purchase a new Genie garage door opener. After installation, I screwed two typical LED bulbs, but I found the transmitter only worked when I was 25' or less from the opener. I called customer service and they advised the normal LED bulbs were causing interference, and told me that I must buy Genie Brand LED light bulbs. Of course, they didn't tell me they were $30 for 2 of them! You believe she was blowing smoke up my tailpipe? I changed to the old style 60w incandescent type until I hear from the experts in here. Does anyone believe Genie has designed their own LED bulbs which do not cause interference?

The antenna is straight down, as requested. The incandescent bulbs seem to work better, but sucking 120 watts every time it opens or closes.

Now I'm worried about my brain, my reading light is LED.

This is what I did on both my openers. I bought a 30 Dollar LED light and mounted it to the ceiling behind the opener. I put one of those adapter plugs into the socket of the opener and plug the strip light into the adapter. A ton more light and no vibration to kill any bulbs

Attachments

• FC893801-3EB2-497B-971B-E2057F5803E6.jpeg
    FC893801-3EB2-497B-971B-E2057F5803E6.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 22
That is a great idea!

I love a good fix! I have a friend who has that same opener. I will tell him about this in case he wants more light in his garage.

one of those adapter plugs
Which adapter plugs? If you just plug another light into that ceiling outlet, whether it's an LED strip light or not, presumably you have to manually turn it on and off, it doesn't turn on and off automatically like the opener's on-board light. So, you've added more light to your garage when you want it, but you haven't fixed the problem related by the OP.

Unless these adapter plugs somehow sense when the opener is being used and then start a 2-minute timer for whatever's plugged into them?

Which adapter plugs? If you just plug another light into that ceiling outlet, whether it's an LED strip light or not, presumably you have to manually turn it on and off, it doesn't turn on and off automatically like the opener's on-board light. So, you've added more light to your garage when you want it, but you haven't fixed the problem related by the OP.

Unless these adapter plugs somehow sense when the opener is being used and then start a 2-minute timer for whatever's plugged into them?
The adapter plug screws in like it was a light bulb. then you plug whatever you want into the socket on the adapter. It is a great solution.

The adapter plug screws in like it was a light bulb. then you plug whatever you want into the socket on the adapter. It is a great solution.
Ohh, I see. It screws into the socket where the onboard light goes.

For some reason I didn't understand that's what was meant earlier. Yes, that is a great solution.:thumb:

Genie's have always said don't use a flourescent light or over 60? 75? 100? watt bulb but I always assumed it was because old flourescents used too much current/power when first firing up, almost like a dead short. People used to claim that flourescents didn't save any electricity because they used ten hours worth just coming on. Didn't think about electronic radiation interfering with the remote control range. Anyway, for past 30 years just ignored the sticker and been screwing 5 - 10 watt (40 watt equivalent) flourescents into them and never noticed any problems of any sort. Those were plenty bright for walking around. Turn on other lights if need more illumination for working on things. With remote control door openers getting so common in densely packed neighborhoods I read they shortened the range of them anyway along with more frequencies and eventually encrypted security codes. Back in 1970's you could drive through a neighborhood while holding the button down on your opener and half the doors in the area would open... they had a range of 150 - 200 feet... very insecure... There were also frequency varying transmitter contraptions that burglars could use while driving to find an unsuspecting victim house... before encryption was added. Those LED flashlights/trouble lights have a sticker on them saying they can interfere with heart pacemakers!

Last edited:
Back