Garage door out of alignment question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are two springs on the 18' door and 1 single spring on the 9' door. Ok say the adjusting the spring will work on the big door, there is only one spring on the 9' door so how do I adjust it?

Thanks

You need to lower your door, completely closed, and then with the winding bars completely to take the spring tension totally off. Once you have no tension on that bar go to whichever side has the loose wire. On that pulley will be two square head screws. Loosen those two screws and rotate that pulley until there is no slack and that line. Then tighten those two bolts up. While you’re at it, you might as well check the other side to make sure it is adjusted to where there is just no slack in the line. after this you can start winding your springs to the proper amount of turns. Hopefully somewhere on the torsion bar, you’ll find a tag wired to it that tells you how many windings at spring should have. If not, you can call the manufacture and tell them what door you have and they will tell you how many spring windings it should have or you can count the. Amount of turns As you loosen the springs.

Thank you I'll give it a go. So it is actually the tension on the side cables that keeps the door straight?

I no longer try to adjust the springs on my door! Scared me too bad the first time!
I was used a very large screwdriverand thought I had it held fimrly, only to let it get away and fling the screwdriver to stick in the sheetrock at the front of the garage!! Had there been anything or any person in the line of fire, they would have been seriously damaged!
I've found that one of the most likely times to get hurt is when you feel you know exactly what you are doing!
With sensing a very large lack of experience, I DO NOT recommend this project as a money saver. It can kill somebody!

^ I agree. This is something I will let a professional deal with. Those springs are wound tighter than I am when my G/F asks me, "Do these pants make me look fat?"

It seems pretty problematic. If you hire an expert, that will be best. A professional can fix this without causing any damage.

I no longer try to adjust the springs on my door! Scared me too bad the first time!
I was used a very large screwdriverand thought I had it held fimrly, only to let it get away and fling the screwdriver to stick in the sheetrock at the front of the garage!! Had there been anything or any person in the line of fire, they would have been seriously damaged!
I've found that one of the most likely times to get hurt is when you feel you know exactly what you are doing!
With sensing a very large lack of experience, I DO NOT recommend this project as a money saver. It can kill somebody!
That's exactly what happened to me, the bars I was using to adjust the spring mandrel was not the proper size. Even though I had loosened the set screws, the mandrel was not turning but then, all the sudden it popped loose, throwing the bar I was using out at a great velocity, hitting my hand and breaking the bone between my little finger and my wrist.

To really rub it in, I had ordered a new guitar by mail order and it arrived that same day but I couldn't play it.

If you decide to do it yourself, get the proper tools!

BrokenHand110206.jpg

Thank you, I got it fixed.... mostly. it still barley catches on one side. i hope it last until the new doors go back down in price.3 and 4K each is more than I can turn loose of.

Thank you, I got it fixed.... mostly. it still barley catches on one side.
When the door is 3 or 4 inches from the floor, is the gap the same at both ends or is it still hanging a little crooked?
Oiling the ball bearings in the rollers and pulleys can help make it operate smoother...

Back