Garage entry door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdeal1

Reaction score
Morning!
the entry door to my garage from my kitchen has a rubber small sweep on the bottom. The previous owners seem as though they painted it and the paint is starting to crack and looks bad. How would I go about remedying this?

Attachments

• DCCE6625-C84C-44B1-A172-A5B865A8FC0B.jpeg
    DCCE6625-C84C-44B1-A172-A5B865A8FC0B.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 12
Looks like it is coming off pretty easy.

Try opening the door and flexing it some. I have a feeling it will all come off and look ok.

If not pull it off and replace it.

Ok. The sweep is in good shape it’s only 5 years old. Why would the previous owner have painted it? so the paint should just chip off it seems?

Ok. The sweep is in good shape it’s only 5 years old. Why would the previous owner have painted it? so the paint should just chip off it seems?

People do stupid things everyday. Most likely is they were too lazy to run a strip of blue painters tape across the bottom so they thought they could carefully cut in the edge only to have paint get on it so they said screw it and painted the whole thing thinking it looked good enough and I’m sure it did until it started chipping off.

It may or may not clean up. But it is worth a try.

Three choices as I see it try and clean it up. Replace it. Live with it as is. It’s still doing its job.

Getting a little off topic here but when I buy a house I would rather have it need a few repairs, touchups that I can DIY rather than putting in the sale agreement it has to be done prior to purchase as most do these days. All that does is people already rushing and tired out moving from a house are going to rush thru the repairs and use cheep products. I just helped some family member that were selling their home and it came with a too do list. As much as I like to do good work we rushed thru the tasks. One was the one toilet lid had a crack and it was a high end toilet in a guest BR that matched all the others in the house. The list said replace lid or replace toilet. It was going to take 6 weeks to get a matching lid and cost more than buying a off the rack $60 toilet at home depot. If it was me I would have lived with the cracked lid and ordered a new one rather than having that junk model.

My wife is a realtor, and they will typically do cash in lieu of repairs for that very reason.

My wife is a realtor, and they will typically do cash in lieu of repairs for that very reason.

I buy a house different than most people. For me staging and all that prep to sell is just distraction. If I see a freshly painted wall or ceiling I think did they have water intrusion and then study that painted area even closer than if it was left alone.

I start off saying this house this location is worth this amount to me if in perfect condition, regardless of the asking price higher or lower. Then when I look at it sometimes I find something unexpectedly good and if it is something I want I will up the value I have in mind. Most of the time things are negatives and I assign them a dollar value and deduct it from what my idea of worth is. If it is something I can do I go modest on the labor cost if I know it needs hired done then I go to the going labor rate plus materials. At the end of the process I have a number in mind and I base my offer on that being the high end of my offer depending on how bad I want it. That’s my number and the seller can take it or leave it.

The house we bought 7 years ago was in really bad shape and a short sale. I did the math and told the agent I would pay 25k not a penny higher. He said ok this bank always comes back and asks for more. So I said ok offer them 24k. they came back with cant you do better and I said ok 24.5k and they took the offer. This stupid dance they do cost them 500 bucks but they felt they got more. The agent just laughed.

There was another house in the same town also in bad shape and when I finished the math I was in negative numbers so I offered them 15K what I thought the land was worth. They said no way never that low. So we walked away. It sat for sale for another year and they had an auction and I went just to see what they could get. High bid was 8k and they sold it. go figure.

We are way off topic with a door sweep question, but even small things like that get hidden from sight when buying a home and end up being something that needs taken care of down the line. Even brand new construction has some hidden gems.

Latest posts

Back