garage resurfacing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurentj23

Reaction score
Hey guys! I just joined the forum, and i need your help. I bought my first house last may. Come to find out, my garage flooring was from the foundation slab and has no surface done to it. They basically just built a garage on top of it.

My plan is to epoxy coat the floor. Last weekend I tried cleaning the floor with pressure washer, brush it with commercial brushes from home depot. I tried to resurface it with quikrete concrete. Concrete 1 which is regular concrete, I mixed it but there's a lot of gravel at the bottom . The consistency is just not right and every time I poured it to the floor, there's just a bunch of stones and gravels.

Concrete 2 which is the resurface has better consistency but still have a lot of gravel and rock after I poured it down the floor

Concrete 3 which was crack resistant needed up having the same results. I spent almost 200 bucks and have no results.

My question is
What type of concrete shld I use? Or shld I just use cement?
What do I need to do to fix this issues besides hiring a pro?

Thanks.

20140913_182933.jpg

Last edited:
Why on earth would you use concrete to resurface your floor, especially if your were going to put down epoxy?
Concrete has different minimum thickness requirements. What you used had aggregate in it because it's probably 2" min depth usage.

if the vests' have it, so will the aprons,,, i'll look @ the products & post back,,, better cementitious resurfacing mtls contain polymers,,, most common is made w/white cement altho gray ( portland ) is also avail,,, using conc will markedly change the floor elevation done by either a bonded OR unbonded cementitious overlay,,, you don't need that UNLESS you want to raise the floor,,, typical polymer o'lays generally range from 1/16" to 5/16" in thickness

Last edited:
Why on earth would you use concrete to resurface your floor, especially if your were going to put down epoxy?
Concrete has different minimum thickness requirements. What you used had aggregate in it because it's probably 2" min depth usage.

What do you recommend that I can get from home depot?

That resurfacer will have sand and cement in it. If you are looking for something with no sand than cement is your option. How thin are you trying to put this stuff down? I would think the resurfacer if used right would work for what you are trying to do.

I really don't understand what you are trying to do.What kind of shape was your concrete floor in before you started tinkering with it? What do you expect to achieve?

I'm wondering if a self leveling concrete (SLC) would work?

If it was my garage, I'd just use a nice epoxy garage paint kit over what you have currently, and roll it on extra thick in the voids. It'll look good as a garage could look.

That self leveling resurfacer I suggested would fill all those voids if done right. If you are good with a flat trowel you can make that look like a new garage.

I wouldn't start pouring leveler on it. I would think that smearing concrete on a cured concrete floor, without a bonding agent, would probably start breaking up in the near future. Especially if you're going to be driving a car on it.

SLC doesn't need any other bonding agent, but I also can't remember if it could be used for a garage floor with such the heavy weight.

I really don't understand what you are trying to do.What kind of shape was your concrete floor in before you started tinkering with it? What do you expect to achieve?

I am trying to make the surface smoother and level it before applying epoxy paint. Look at the pic I posted. Would the epoxy be able to stick though? I just wanna make sure before I waste another 99 bucks of epoxy kit.

I wouldn't start pouring leveler on it. I would think that smearing concrete on a cured concrete floor, without a bonding agent, would probably start breaking up in the near future. Especially if you're going to be driving

So what products do you recommend? Just regular cement?

I was thinking the self leveler in small amounts using a trowel to just fill the voids.

SLC doesn't need any other bonding agent, but I also can't remember if it could be used for a garage floor with such the heavy weight.

I was referring to the original application. Putting concrete on concrete, especially thinly, doesn't bond very well. If you've ever spilled some mix and let it harden, it's easy to scrape up. You can put SLC on top of the cement he put down, but I don't know how well that concrete will stay bonded to the slab, especially after driving over it.

Yes sir. But away from the house instead of towards my crawl space.

A few years ago we had to re and re a set of stairs so the concrete boys could get in and correct the slope of the garage as it had settled. I don't no what prep or product they used but it was from a mix plant. Their skim coat went from 2" to nothing in about 16 ft, they have had no further problem with it.

So mayby you could call a local readymix company and get some idea what they would have you do.

Latest posts

Back