Garage weight bearing post

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herlhel

Reaction score
We have a post in our garage that has been scraped a few times by the tire of the car getting into the far right spot. This is a 4 story multi unit home in a city. We have a few options right now, mainly replacing the pillar with something newer and leaner, or adding some protective concrete poles around the pillar.

1. Any idea how much the replacement will cost? We were quoted +$20k
2. Any other creative solutions? The issue with adding protective poles is that the turn around the pillar is already tight for the far garage spot.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2ED39C99-C649-4201-B22A-B5A9CCF34365.jpeg
    2ED39C99-C649-4201-B22A-B5A9CCF34365.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 41B3683F-07B9-4151-B4E4-7C7D599AEEFB.jpeg
    41B3683F-07B9-4151-B4E4-7C7D599AEEFB.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 10
Any replacement is going to have to be engineered with stamped plans. I don't see a good solution from the pictures. What is the $20K quote proposing to do?

The proposal was just a rough eyeball estimate and would be replacing it with a newer wood beam which would be narrower - this beam is likely 60-115 yrs old (home is 1905).

That looks like somebody's home made solution.
A couple of things that look strange are the proportions of the beam --- wide and short in height. (although that could be just wood skirting around a steel beam and post).
Also the location of the control cuts in the slam make me wonder if there is a footing under that post. (although unlikely to be original slab, so not sure that really means anything).
The house has stayed up for 115 years, so I would not worry about it, but if modifying it, probably a good idea (and probably code rqd) to have a P. Eng. involved.

Concrete patch on the base would be a lot cheaper.

Latest posts

Back