Gas Boiler Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lodgeskins

Reaction score
I recently purchased an antique home, and currently live about an hour from it. It has an old gas boiler, and although I turned off the heat at the thermostats before leaving, the water circulating pump continued to run. My father in-law lives nearby the house, so I had him flip the emergency shut off switch to the boiler which stopped the pump from running. My question is, once that switch is turned off, is there any possibility that gas will be flowing into the house? I am concerned because he could not find a valve to shut off the gas, and I've never owned a gas boiler, so I'm not sure if the emergency switch just cuts the pilot light, while gas might be allowed to continue to flow. I'm sure with a modern system the emergency switch kills everything including the gas flow, but I think this furnace is from the 40's. Anyone have any words of wisdom to give me peace of mind? Thanks for any insight, Mike

The pump should not run on the boiler if the stat is not callling for heat normally.
It could be running if the boiler is also used to heat the hot water for the house but then again only if the water tank is calling for heat.

Are you sure it was the heat circulating pump and not a hot water recirculating system?

Obviously should not be pumping gas with the e-switch off but as you said, its an older system. If you're really worried I would call a pro to take a look

Thanks for the responses. I'm not completely sure what was running; I think it was the pump that circulates water through the radiators. I could be wrong, as I was rushed into leaving and then asked my father-in-law go over to try to shut it off. I spoke to the gas company today and they told me that there is no gas going past the meter right now since I just purchased the house, so I have total peace of mind. I'll be sorting out the system over the summer before I need the gas. Thanks again, Mike

as a guide line I've recently renovated a 100 yr + double brick home completely. A steel roof installed (in progress) $6800.00. This is the only job I paid to have done professionally. I've known the installer for years having worked in building materials for many years. His work is impeccable. I had to wait better than a year for his services My kitchen from the floor up including stainless appliances was 23,000.00 I saved approximately 30,000.00 doing the reno myself. Tile floor, back splash, Alder cabinets, laminate counter top the whole shooting match. You can definitely save a bundle doing it yourself. New laminate floors throughout (approx 1200 sq ft) for about 3500.00 The sweat equity is worth it. My material costs for a complete reno including a 16 x 20 garage is less than 40,000.00 Ive seen enough drywall to last me a lifetime. I figure I've saved about 30-35,000.00 in labour alone. It soiunds like you got a sweet deal. trade on your friends and relatives experience and dont be afraid to get some work done professionally if the scope is beyond your skills.

I recently purchased an antique home, and currently live about an hour from it. It has an old gas boiler, and although I turned off the heat at the thermostats before leaving, the water circulating pump continued to run. My father in-law lives nearby the house, so I had him flip the emergency shut off switch to the boiler which stopped the pump from running. My question is, once that switch is turned off, is there any possibility that gas will be flowing into the house? I am concerned because he could not find a valve to shut off the gas, and I've never owned a gas boiler, so I'm not sure if the emergency switch just cuts the pilot light, while gas might be allowed to continue to flow. I'm sure with a modern system the emergency switch kills everything including the gas flow, but I think this furnace is from the 40's. Anyone have any words of wisdom to give me peace of mind? Thanks for any insight, Mike
In the old days the boilers were large and held a lot of water , so we did things in a different way. It was not unusual to run the pump on a temp. controller so the pump would run until the water temp got down to the setting on the temp control, which might be set down to 90 degrees, and the thermostat would turn the burner on and off. This would keep a more
even temp. in the home. Later when you get into it, show me some pic. and i can tell you what you have. Paul

Thank you everyone for the responses. I was relieved to find out from the gas company that there is no gas flowing past the meter at this time. When we bought the house there was an interruption in service, and we haven't had a chance to get it hooked up again. We have an appointment to have it hooked up in two weeks (the next time we can get there) so I will post an update about the pump situation afterwards. Best, Mike

Back