gas fireplace opening and smell

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdupergiraffe

Reaction score
Hi,

i have a gas fireplace (10+ years old) with cloudy glass that I would like to clean. I want to open it but open of the clasps at the bottom is blocked by the incoming gas line. I don't know anything about gas lines like this. Are they flexible enough to pull out of the way while i open the glass without the line cracking? It seems weird that it would be installed like this.

Also for the fireplace there is no smell when the pilot light is on but when i turn the flame on it gets very smelly in the house.
It does not smell like rotten eggs, it doesn't smell like gas escaping. I can't really describe the smell.
The suggestions that I've seen online are that the fireplace needs to run for 9 hours straight to burn off whatever is causing the smell (only applicable if the fireplace is new but it seems easy enough to do) or opening the fireplace and cleaning it out or replacing the logs.

A photo of the gas line and clasp is at the bottom.

20201014_185645.jpg

Welcome.

The gas piping to the valve is Polyethylene and the connecter after the valve is a coated metal flexible material and can be marginally manipulated, without damaging.

As for the odor, you need to have a chimney sweep inspect the unit combustion chamber as well as the flue and chimney stack.

How would I check if the flue is open or close? Do I turn off the fireplace and after cooling down look up with a flashlight? I'll look in the manual if it says anything about how to control the flue damper.

Please post the mfg. and model #, so we can view, as well.

Th flue should have a control lever or pull, to open and close it.

You should probably be able to stick your head in there during the day, and look up the chimney and see daylight.

If the flue is open.

Sometimes on gas fireplaces or inserts, the flue is permanently locked open.

Back