gas line

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum' started by shovelshort, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Feb 18, 2007 #1

shovelshort

shovelshort

shovelshort

I want to tuck the main gas line coming into my house up into the floor joists so I can finish my basement/ceiling. This is purely for aesthetics. However, the builder never put in a coupling anywhere in the line. I am only a few feet inside the house from the meter (as far as where I need to make alterations to tuck pipe). A friend says that I will have to begin at the meter and start taking things apart until I get to where I need to be. Problem, we are in the middle of a cold snowy winter.

My question is this: is a builder / contractor required to put one or more couplings in line for future repair work? or is this purely courtesy?

2. Feb 19, 2007 #2

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

Call it courtesy or CYA ( I may be the one to make the changes) I like to put a union in occasionally. Some plumbers don't like unions because they have to be exactly in line and exact fit to keep them from leaking; no unions, no problems.
    You may cut the line where ever you need to make a change, take the pipe from each side of the cut and have the local hardware store to thread them and cut one side in two pieces, threaded and include a union. This allows you to insert what ever you need without having to unscrew the whole house of pipe. Caution:be sure you cut out some pipe to allow for the extra fittings you are installing.
    Glenn

3. Feb 20, 2007 #3

shovelshort

shovelshort

shovelshort

Excellent! Thank you very much. This should save me a lot of work. Much appreciated.

4. Feb 22, 2007 #4

Daryl

Daryl

Daryl

make sure to check your connections and union with a soap solution for leaks after install !!

5. Mar 13, 2007 #5

shovelshort

shovelshort

shovelshort

One more quick question. Does it matter if I put the union on the inside or the outside of the house? Just wandering if temperature changes will make the union expand and leak.

6. Mar 13, 2007 #6

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

Temperature changes won't hurt the union but it will hurt my feelings to have to go outside and work on it someday later. I prefer to have a main gas valve and several unions inside the house.
    Glenn

7. Mar 13, 2007 #7

shovelshort

shovelshort

shovelshort

Ok, I put it inside. Just seems to me that if something is going to leak, it will be the union and I wanted that to happen outside. It doesn't matter, I didn't have enough room between meter and outside wall to do it anyway.