Gas Oven putting out too much heat.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taviaromescu

Reaction score
I'm cooking chicken in there right now, and there is a wave of heat coming out of it. I put a chair in front of it, and put a digital room thermometer on it. It was about 88 degrees in my bedroom. Four feet from the oven, it's at 96 degrees. Even when it's off, the air inside the oven is warmer than room temperature. I think the pilot light may be on too high? Istore a few pans in there when it's off, and the ones on the top rack always feel a bit warm. There was also a medium-faint smell of gas for a while when I turned the oven on. I smelled it all over the kitchen and living room. Thoughts appreciated.

Metal appliances will re-radiate heat, during and after use, and if there are surface burners they will heat the pan beneath and radiate heat into the oven compartment.

Your utility mkay offer a service for the pilot and the gas smell.

So I thin it is using up more gas than is necessary, plus the as leak is not healthful.

Unless your gas range is very old, it doesn't have standing pilot lights. When you turn on a burner do you have an ignite area on the knob and get a tick-tick-tick sound? If so there aren't pilots, and the oven likely has an electric starter as well. If you're basing your gas usage on your bill amount, it may be just due to an increase in the price of gas. Certainly check for leaks, especially if you smell the additive used in gas to help detect leaks. Gas itself is odorless.

Latest posts

Back