GE GDF610PSJ2SS dishwasher stopped working: repair or replace?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
Happy Near Year Everyone!

Have a 3-yr old GE GDF610PSJ2SS dishwasher that stopped working. A few weeks ago I noticed that the panel started lighting up randomly, whereas before it would do it only when the dishwasher was opened. Then the other day it went dead: no lights on the panel, does not react to any buttons being pushed.

Does it look like the main board died? Is it an easy replacement or do I need a pro to do it if I've never done it before?

The board is I think around $100 and if I call my repairman it's another $100 if not more. If I decide to replace it, would you recommend any brads that are more reliable than the rest? I've heard Whirlpool and Bosch. I am sure they have some guaranteed obsolescence built in their products too, but are they still better on average?

If I decide to replace, what I would want is something that's very basic in terms of bells and whistles but also is quiet. Can I find such a combination + reliability in one unit? Thx!

Tried Googling "repair clinic"?
It can help trouble shoot, price the needed parts, and often times even has videos on how to replace the part.

I would try turning off the breaker for about ten minutes first, it might reset the board.

If you can get yours fixed for under $300, it seems worth fixing.
Dishwashers often last fifteen years or more.

A new one, installed, can easily be $600 to $800.

Tried turning off/on the breaker, didn't help. Looked at a couple of YT videos, see if I will feel brave enough to take apart the door.

My parents’ KitchenAid dishwasher lasted over 30 years.
Still going strong when we sold their house.

But Whirlpool is buying up a lot of brands, and cheapening the quality.

Take pictures all along the way, as you take apart the door.

Of where screws go, where wires go, order of dis-assembly.

Lots of little screws, keep them safe somewhere besides on the floor.

I am not an appliance repair expert by any means, but I have replaced dishwasher pumps, motors, spray arms, seals, boards, all by following good videos.

Appliance repair part sellers often have great videos on their website.

Look up the board on Google, and you will probably find links to parts suppliers, and often the video links are on their site right next to the part description.

Back