GE Refrigerator not making ice. Model General Electric DTL18ICSRRBS

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breckrider

Reaction score
I have replaced the water inlet valve but the tray still isn't filling with water. I know water is flowing through the copper feed line and the black tube that goes from the valve to the ice tray feels cold which tells me that there's water in that line but no water flowing into the tray. The customer has been manually filling the ice tray with water then letting the maker cycle and dump the ice cubes. Is there something that I'm missing? What else could be wrong?

I have replaced the water inlet valve but the tray still isn't filling with water. I know water is flowing through the copper feed line and the black tube that goes from the valve to the ice tray feels cold which tells me that there's water in that line but no water flowing into the tray. The customer has been manually filling the ice tray with water then letting the maker cycle and dump the ice cubes. Is there something that I'm missing? What else could be wrong?
I have now also replaced the ice maker itself and still no water flowing into the tray.

Do the later models of refrigerators have a solenoid to stop or start the water flow?

This is an early model. Maybe early 90s. Top freezer, single door, no water in the door. I now believe the water tube is frozen. Will check that next.

Sounds logical

Have you tried defrosting the freezer? I had an Amana SxS and the filler tube for the ice maker would freeze up solid. Especially when we turned the water off for a vacation. I'd hit it with a hair dryer to melt out the water, the plastic tube could be removed and I'd hit the connection up with hot air to clear it as well. My current Whirlpool hasn't had the problem, but instead of a tube coming from the back of the cabinet it is a U shaped trough with the top open.

I've found any number of issues with water in refrigerator/freezers can be solved by a periodic defrosting, even in the age of frost free designs. The frost free design keeps the frost off the compartment, but does nothing to clear the drains.

Back