GE wall oven - replace door hinge?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

we5inelgr

Reaction score
Hi all,

We have a GE double wall oven, about 17 years old, that has a broken door hinge, right side, on the top oven.

GE service was called, the technician stated that the hinges are no longer available for our model oven, and therefore he couldn't repair it.
I figured, I'll just search the net for the parts and repair myself (or ask another repair tech).
I'm unable to find the part...new, anywhere. However, I've found some seller's on eBay (looks like recycle or repair shops) where I can get used hinges.

At this time, replacing the ovens new isn't an option.
From the GE repair tech, this is the information on our double wall oven:
GE / Hotpoint electric range
Model No: JTP56S0D1SS
Part No's: WB14T10009 (Hinge Asm-Right)
WB14T10010 (Hinge Asm-Left)

I've searched for DIY videos on how to replace the hinges, but have been unsuccessful. Almost all videos I've seen are either for single ovens with a broiler bottom, or wall ovens where the hinge can be replaced by simply taking the door off, which isn't the case with our oven.

Do I need to pull out both ovens in order to get to a side panel in order to take the hinges out?

Any ideas on how these hinges are replaced?

Thanks.

P.S. The pic of the hinge doesn't look like it, but that hinge is definitely busted.

Attachments

• 20190927_194750.jpg
    20190927_194750.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190927_194810.jpg
    20190927_194810.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Another good source is www.repairclinic.com

Over at www.handymanwire.com Jeff is really helpful in answering your appliance questions. I think he used to post here but doesn't anymore. Post up the details you provided above. You need to register to post in the specific appliance board, but registration is free.

You might try to find a used or junked oven locally that uses the same hinge - probably very common at the time. Then you could practice on the "new" one and figure out how to replace the hinge while removing one from the junker.

Back