Generator knowledge needed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilG

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a portable backup generator. I want it to be tri-fuel, and I want to run this by people who know to see if I got it correct.

-You can convert a gasoline generator to tri-fuel with a conversion kit.
-You can't use natural gas in a bi-fuel generator, you'd have to install the same conversion kit.

Do I have that right? Thanks,

Neil

Years ago we had a truck changed to propane and want it to run on both, they said it could be done but you loose a bunch of effeminacy with the fuel. With back up generator that may not be important.

NeilG
Besides the type of fuel that the generator can run on is only one portion of what you would want to see in a portable generator. If you will be using this generator to power a portion/entire of your home during times of no power then you would want to evaluate what the generator can handle. This is an area that many people over look when purchasing a portable generator. With this factor it may limit what types of fuel the generator can run on in order to be large enough to give you the power needed to accommodate your needs during a power failure in your home.

Back