Geothermal Heating and Cooling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krich

Reaction score
Anybody here using Geothermal Heating and Cooling?

I've been reading up on this and it makes a lot of sense when you consider it uses around 25% of the power a regular HVAC system uses to pay for itself in 7 to 10 years they claim, and I heard the feds are giving 30% tax brake which makes it a lot more affordable

If I were building, especially in a colder climate, I'd definitely look at geo-thermal heat pumps. When I replaced my HVAC systems at the end of 2021 I went with new gas forced air furnaces and conventional AC for the two existing units and a ducted mini-split heat pump for the basement. The return on investment wasn't there to consider a geo-thermal system in my mild climate. It would certainly lower my AC costs in summer being able to use ground temperatures instead of 95F air to pull the heat out of the house.

I wonder what the install cost would run for say a 2000 sq foot home?

This is what Google came up with. I think the equipment is more expensive, though longer lasting than an air to air heat pump, and the cost of drilling a well. You don't need to hit water, but depending on the bed rock conditions will determine how expensive the well is or wells are. I think you can achieve the same result with several shallower wells instead of one deep one. I installed three systems late 2021 early 2022 including one with all new ducts (basement no existing system) and spent around $25K

"On average, a homeowner can expect total expenses to reach between $18,000 to $30,000 on geothermal heating and cooling cost. This cost would cover a complete geothermal installation. The price can range from $30,000 to $45,000 with high-end ground-source heat pump systems for large homes."

I'm planning on heating / cooling my house... and then a shop as well.

I'm hoping I can use the same ground work for both but have 2 separate units for each space.

I'm planning on heating / cooling my house... and then a shop as well.

I'm hoping I can use the same ground work for both but have 2 separate units for each space.
Some of the systems I've seen used on This Old House use one big outside unit that can support several indoor units. But my level of knowledge is limited to what I saw on that show.

That would be cool... I'd definitely want a workshop that is heated and cooled.

Working in heat and cold is a young man's deal, not us "mature" gentlemen glasses.gif

I read some where that there is a 30% tax credit thru 2023.

I'm in the beginning stages of building a barndominium so I'm hoping to get this installed this year when I'm getting this building done.

If I can get this installed for around $20k it would be nice to get $6k back! thumbsup2.gif

Sound like a good deal. Maybe even some solar credits for panels as well. What state do you live in?

I'm in the south so it's pretty hot during the summer.

Not sure I'd want to blow a bunch of money on solar with the news that batteries sometimes catch on fire.

I'd have to have the batteries off in some building away from the house and of course they'd have to be kept cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Seems like a hassle.

I will have a large fireplace and the property has quite a bit of wood to harvest for firewood to keep warm in the winter and there's deer and other small game to whack for food.

Tax Credits Available

The following Residential Clean Energy Tax Credit amounts apply for the prescribed periods:

• 30% for property placed in service after December 31, 2016, and before January 1, 2020
  • 26% for property placed in service after December 31, 2019, and before January 1, 2022
  • 30% for property placed in service after December 31, 2021, and before January 1, 2033
  • 26% for property placed in service after December 31, 2032, and before January 1, 2034
  • 22% for property placed in service after December 31, 2033, and before January 1, 2035

It really can't be called "clean energy" considering all the pollution that goes in to making solar power equipment, it's disposal, not to mention the strip mining and child labor involved.

It really can't be called "clean energy" considering all the pollution that goes in to making solar power equipment, it's disposal, not to mention the strip mining and child labor involved.
The page linked is entitled.

Geothermal Heat Pumps Tax Credit​

Anything we do has an impact. I'd think over their lifetime a Geothermal Heat Pump would have a much lower impact than a traditional air to air heat pump or a gas fired or oil fired furnace.

Yeah, I can see the benefit of geothermal... but no so much for solar power.

I'm actually planning on heating the barndo and the shop I'll be building with geothermal unless it ends up being massively over priced.

I'd think there would be enough companies dealing in geothermal now that I should be able to find a decent deal.

They say the most expensive part is either drilling (which I won't be doing) or laying the flex pipe in the ground which I could probably do on my own if I rented a backhoe

Solar can supplement our base power. It can't replace all baseload power generation without massive storage being created. Same with wind. Maybe at some point we'll have better batteries than the current Lithium Ion batteries, there is a lot of research on new battery types.

The Pollyannaish dreams of the Greens that we can cut out fossil fuels in 10 years are pipe dreams. We're going to be using fossil fuels for decades. High speed rail is not going to replace airline travel in the USA in the next 60 years. Look at the boondoggle in California. Hoover Dam couldn't be permitted in the time it took to build back in the day.

I think it's funny that they call oil and gas "fossil fuels" as though it came from trillions upon trillions and even more trillions of dead dinosaurs laughing.gif

I got a quote for HVAC for our home a month ago. I later asked if they do geothermal. They said yes but to put into perspective the cost for a typical 2000 sf home is $10,000 - $15,000. For a geothermal unit it would be between $35,000 and $40,000. We're in a cold climate so at time may need supplemental heat. That would be electric and expensive to run. They could add a gas supplemental system to $5,000 more. We won't be doing that. Not sure I'd live long enough to reap the benefits.

The geothermal unit itself can be purchased for around $8000... a fella might be able to put everything in place himself and them have the company come out and hook it up and dial it in which is what some folks on utuber is doing and yes they typically have a gas furnace if in a really cold area

On the other hand, I've heard of people who did a really good job with insulation having pretty low electric bills with a conventional system so I guess it's smart to price things both ways.

Back