Get cat pee smell out of wood floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
Need to get the horrible cat pee smell out -- not out of hardwood flooring, but out of the wood board that's underneath the vinyl tile in my laundry room.

I recently demo'ed an old laundry room cabinet from 2 owners ago that the owners immediately previous to me must have been using to house their cat's litter box. The floor in the laundry room is tiled except for where the footprint of the cabinet was, which is just the bare wood board. The pee seems to have dripped down through the bottom of the cabinet and stained the wood board underneath, saturating it with the awesome stench of cat pee. The smell fills the laundry room.

What should I do??

OK, update: I bought the odor/stain-blocking primer but first sprayed the area with a bleach+water solution and scrubbed it with a hard brush, then waited until it was dry and forgot about it. A few days later the smell is almost gone, so I'm going to return the primer and just do the bleach scrub again.

Wish you the best, but by just using bleach the smell "may" come back if the humidity is high enough.
The enzymes eat the urine, not just cover up the smell.

Removed some of the surrounding tile...turns out the cat pee had migrated sideways under that, and was pretty concentrated there. So I scrubbed that out too and I expect that will help a lot.

I wouldn't return the zinser. The odor will likely return at some point. And just using the bleach won't be a permanent fix.

My gf bought her first home just a few years ago and the first thing she did was get rid of the royal blue shag carpet.... And found all the potty places from the bed ridden occupant's pet. In one room it soaked through nearly the entire subfloor and it was starting to go soft. That got replaced , but the odor was still lingering. She had used multiple coats of kill in the other rooms and that wasn't working. And couldn't really afford the cost of replacing the subfloor in 3 bedrooms and a hallway. She was a little doubtful that the zinser would work, but it did, and it took less than 2 quarts.
There has since been cats and dogs in her house with no issue of peeing anywhere but where they are supposed to- litter box or outside.

I agree with Slowandsteady on this one. What you need is an enzymatic cleaner. I love Nature's Miracle. It's all natural and does a great job. You can buy it at most pet stores ( I get mine at Pet Smart or Chewy).
I completely agree with this. I use the same product. The trick to it is that you need to saturate the area that the pee is in, and let it soak in. It only works if it contacts the pee so if it’s soaked into the wood then let the enzyme solution soak in also. If the pee went under a cabinet then do your best to clean it up first then send the enzyme in after it to neutralize the smells.

Second the motion for Natures Miracle! Recently had a tenant leave whose "Emotional Support Animal" peed on newly installed carpeting. The trick is to locate the urine so it can be treated, otherwise you're flyin' blind and trusting to luck. I bought a blacklight and use it to locate exactly where the treatment needs to go. The stains show up under UV light and make treating them easier and more effective, and the NM really helps knock back the odor.

Flyover, (and everyone else) in the future please do NOT use bleach on cat pee (or any urine). Bleach + Ammonia (from cat pee) = chloramine gas. In small quantities it is an irritant but can cause respiratory distress. In larger quantities it is lethal.
The enzyme formula like Nature's Miracle & possibly a coat of odorblocking Killz can get rid of the odor. But please please please avoid the use of bleach- even with water. Mixing it with water was probably why you may not have gotten much of a reaction, but there is still a danger. It's very bad for your lungs.

Back