Getting a deck permit, for a deck that already exists

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awe215

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I bought a house (short sale) that requires us to fix a bunch of things wrong with the house. We've had to do various things, like fixing ripped screens etc. One of which is to get a permit for the deck and pool (which already exists!)

We have to show the plans and materials for the deck, as well as show the footings are at the right depth.

Should I hire a contractor to secure the permit...a handyman...an architect!?

Thanks!

Who made getting those permits a prerequisite? The city or the bank?

If it's the city, ask if they are requesting that the footing depth be proven on all, or will they accept a selected random.

Is the pool in ground or surface?

Who made getting those permits a prerequisite? The city or the bank?

If it's the city, ask if they are requesting that the footing depth be proven on all, or will they accept a selected random.

Is the pool in ground or surface?

Thanks for the reply!

The township is making us do it...it's part of the short sale. They did an inspection and came back with a list of things for us to do, to get the CO.

I am not sure about the footings, if it is random or all.

The pool is an above ground (surface).

Thanks again for the reply!

The bottom of the footings have to be at frost depth measure from the surface of the ground. If they are not deep enough you will be digging them all.

You need a couple of sheets of typing paper and make a plot plan of the property at a scale of 1" = 10'. A plot plan is as if you are viewing from an airplane. Critical dimensions are street to house, side property lines to the house and also to the deck and rear property line to the house. Include the location of the pool.

Then make the same style plan of the deck, at 1/4" = 1', including where it attaches to the house, Identify where the footings are, both where they are on the perimeter as well as underneath.

Take these to the city and ask the extent of excavation they will need to verify the depth.

They may not require you to excavate them all.

The trickiest part of the deck will be the attachment to the house - transferring the deck load to the house and flashing properly can be very complex. Most DIY decks will fail any in-depth inspection and be prone to failure. Take pictures of the deck/house attachment and see what the township will require to document what was done, or if they care at all. Google "jlc deck" for some excellent references on good deck engineering.

Back