gfi popped

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbo

Reaction score
when I connected my elect. smoker to an outlet, the gfi popped. I disconnected from the wall outlet and opened the elect. panel on the smoker and found no problem with the wiring, , I then removed the connectors from the heating element and checked for continuity of the element and that checked o.k., I then checked for resistance between the outer shell of the element and ground, and got a slight reading of ohms. Is that normal or is that the reason for the popped gfi?

when I connected my elect. smoker to an outlet, the gfi popped. I disconnected from the wall outlet and opened the elect. panel on the smoker and found no problem with the wiring, , I then removed the connectors from the heating element and checked for continuity of the element and that checked o.k., I then checked for resistance between the outer shell of the element and ground, and got a slight reading of ohms. Is that normal or is that the reason for the popped gfi?

GFI's react to the instantaneous difference in potential between the hot and neutral, and they will wear out over time.

Small appliances and other devices such a compressors, which have a high start-up current draw will cause a failure of this nature.

Does the device operate properly in a non GFI protected recepticle?

Is the GFI a 15 or a 20amp.

Back