Glue or Paper for 4" Oak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joevar1005

Reaction score
I will be putting down 1800 sq ft 4" unfinished Red Oak next week. I have heard some say to glue the boards to prevent cupping, others have said no worrys just use std 15lb paper on sub-floor. The house has a full 8' ceiling basement and is climate controlled. I would definately glue 5" or greater oak down but am leaning to just using std 15lb paper under the oak for this 4" install. Just curious to see what others would recommend.

#1 Real wood flooring is almost never a good idea below grade.
#2 I've never head of anyone gluing down real wood flooring to concrete or to felt, it expands and contracts to much and will break the glue bond, and if you used felt it would not be attached to the slab.
Prefinished engineered flooring would be a far better choise. It gets an underlament of felt then the T&G get glued. It will become a floating floor. Engineered flooring is far more stable then real wood and can be installed below grade.

Joe is right. Real wood on concrete is a bad idea. Concrete will always contain or condense moisture and cause cupping.

Sorry for the confusion. I intend to put the floor down over 3/4" plywood. My concern was with 4" Oak cupping and weather it should be glued to the sub floor or just use paper. I mentioned the basement since the house has a full unfinished basement rather than a slab or a crawl space.

I have since learned from a few in the trade that I should use Aquabar B over the plywood sub floor and just nail the oak down.

What's under that plywood as a vaper barrier? Is the plywood sitting on sleeper or is it directly attached to the slab

Under the plywood is a full unfinished basement (8' ceilings). The property slopes so that half of the basement is ground level and the other half is below grade. Eventually I intend to finish the basement but not for at least a year or two.

So just make sure were clear, it's going in the main house, and it's heated and cooled and your living in it? The reason I ask is if it was something like a summer home and no one was there it's not a good Idea to be putting in real wood floors unless it's going to have a steady temperature.
I still think prefinished hardwood or engineered wood would be a better value, last longer, way faster to put in, no sanding, no having to go buy stain and sealer, no odors or dust.
Nail down and walk on the same day.
I would just use rosin paper and a real flooring pneumatic nailer with staples or L shaped nails. Never glue.

Back