Goodman Heatpump, Honeywell Thermostat

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachboui

Reaction score
Quick background... 19 year old Ruud heatpump died in July (on the hottest day of summer, of course). The Ruud worked well for many years with a Honeywell CT3611(R4450) thermostat. Replaced the dead Ruud with a lightly used Goodman 2 ton unit (GSH130181).

Since that hot day in July, I've been running the Goodman without the reversing valve wired for switching between cooling and heat. Now, it's friggin' cold and I can't get the reversing valve to switch to heat. I replaced the CT3611 themostat with a Honeywell RTH5160D specifically so my system would switch automatically between cooling and heating modes. I believe the Ruud used the B terminal for the reversing valve. The Goodman apparently uses the O terminal for that. (Tried O and B... neither worked.)

With all the wires connected the same on the RTH5160 (and the settings properly set to O for the reversing valve) as they were on the CT3611, A/C works fine. But, I can't get the reversing value switch to heat. It just blows cold air. Connecting the orange wire to the O terminal doesn't work.

Pictures here show the wires from compressor/wall/air handler in the attic wired together, and the wiring at the heat pump. The CT3611 wiring is also show. I'm posting pics of the wiring in hopes that someone can spot where the problem may be and help me get heat.

Any guidance would be most appreciated and modestly rewarded.

Wiring it all together
attic-wires.jpg

At Heat pump
at_heatpump.jpg

CT3611R4450
previous_thmst.jpg

New RTH5160D terminals
RTH5160 terminals.jpg

Last edited:
Original post said the Goodman was a 2 ton unit... it's a 1.5 ton unit. Air handler was part of the Ruud system the Goodman has replace. I just haven't changed the air handler yet.

Since the A/C worked fine for several months, and the only issue is that the system won't switch to heating, I'm wondering if the problem is that the reversing valve is stuck? Any thoughts, anyone?

Goodman heat pump installation manual (wiring diagram page)
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/867424/Goodman-Gsh-Series.html?page=156#manual

So, at first, I thought the problem was the wiring of the thermostat not being right. But, after trying every option and 3 different thermostats, I am now of the opinion that the reversing valve is stuck in the position for cooling. After all, the unit sat in storage for 10 years being being place into service again. I was going to take the panel off and try tapping on the valve to see if it would switch on it's own. But, that damn wiring cable is blocking the removal of the access panel. Not sure if I want to undo all those wires and try to put them all back on the right terminals. Ugh.

Back