Goodman Indoor Unit Rusty Coils

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TxBuilder

I have a Goodman HVAC unit both indoor and outdoor. It's about 4 years old now.

Last time a HVAC tech came out to redo the plumbing that the original installer messed up he commented about how rusty the coils were, at the time the unit was only 3 years old. This weekend I had to clean the drain line and opened up the case, I noticed that the coils are all completely rusted now.

Is this normal? We live in Texas so humidity is high but how much longer are these coils going to last if the rust keeps up?

If it's like what I saw with mine the rust was on the frame and not the actual pressurized line which is aluminum and will not rust. If so then the rust will cause the drain line to clog more often but as long as the coils stay there you should be alright.

thats right on. the aluminum is the outer shell with copper piping inside where the pressure is. take a look at this a coil in the video here

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkbsuo6w5aI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkbsuo6w5aI[/ame]

you can see a rust/water line where the backed up drain was. I wouldnt worry too much. That coil sweats like crazy and I can only imagine what it does in Texas!! At least you got on the drainage issue. If it does happen to start leaking get on it becuase you probably have a 5 year warranty at least on it all maybe a 10. good luck

Yep that's exactly the issue, about every six months the drain is completely clogged, I open the case and the pan is filled with rust looking particles. I thought it was bacteria but I guess it's flakes from the rusted shell?

If the coil gets blocked up every summer you might want to try a 4 to 1 mixture of lemon flovored clorox and water into the drain pan each summer. This will kill any residual mold in the pan and lines.

you know the pan is going to clog at least once, so be proactive and plan on cleaning the pan 2 times during the summer with your shop vac

do not worry whatsoever about the rusting on the coil

Back