got a flooring quote

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topher5150

Reaction score
Let me start with what happened and what needs to be done. When the previous homeowner bought the house he ripped up all the carpet in the basement and covered the whole floor in leveling cement because it was so pitted. The front half turned out pretty good but the further back you went the worse it got to the point that the floor was the consistency of a gravel road. So I chipped all that junk up and decided that it probably would be best to have a pro look at it. He said what needs to be filled is really to shallow. He gave us two options we raise the floor 3"-4", which wont work because we have radiant heat, and then I won't be able to fit in basement; option 2 which is the cut the floor down 3"-4" and fill it back up make it look nice and pretty. Option 2 would cost us around $900-$1100 for demo and laying cement.
What are your opinions on this?

If you are going to have something done in the home you are planning on enjoying for the next 20+ years, do it right.
If this is a flip home, or only a house for the next 2-3 years, maybe explore more options...

But also, always get quotes (and ideas) from more than one pro.

Get a couple more quotes.

3-4 inches in either direction sounds like a new concrete pour. If you go down by 4 inches, what happens to your radiant heat? If you go up, won't the heat need to be reset near the top? Does his price include that?
Self-leveling cement doesn't need to be deep at all, but it can't be considered a finished surface. You would have to cover it with something like vinyl planks or tile or something similar.

Let me start with what happened and what needs to be done. When the previous homeowner bought the house he ripped up all the carpet in the basement and covered the whole floor in leveling cement because it was so pitted. The front half turned out pretty good but the further back you went the worse it got to the point that the floor was the consistency of a gravel road. So I chipped all that junk up and decided that it probably would be best to have a pro look at it. He said what needs to be filled is really to shallow. He gave us two options we raise the floor 3"-4", which wont work because we have radiant heat, and then I won't be able to fit in basement; option 2 which is the cut the floor down 3"-4" and fill it back up make it look nice and pretty. Option 2 would cost us around $900-$1100 for demo and laying cement.
What are your opinions on this?
He has no idea what he is talking about. "too shallow"? You can use self leveling only 1/2" thick. Get someone else.

If you are going to have something done in the home you are planning on enjoying for the next 20+ years, do it right.
If this is a flip home, or only a house for the next 2-3 years, maybe explore more options...

But also, always get quotes (and ideas) from more than one pro.
Random question: if a person whose son lives in my house rent free for the past two years, comes and replaces my bathroom floor, would $1000 be too much? It’s approximately a 50 sq ft bathroom. Used stick on vinyl flooring. Said materials were $300 and charged me $700 for labor. I didn’t hold them to a schedule and even let them stay till 8:30 last night and they never came in early as they said. We were being flexible and patient because we thought we were getting a deal. I’m just a little miffed. I was hoping to only spend between $300-500. Advice?

Sounds high for a self-stick floor, but you didn't mention how big an area was being done.

PS. It's usually better to start a new thread than to try to change subjects.

Those tiles are about $.99 cents a piece. You have about $50 in material, and no more than $125 for labor to install it. YOU HAVE BEEN RIPPED OFF!

Latest posts

Back