Got any new toys.. I mean tools, lately?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToolGuy

Reaction score
I just feel like bragging. I got myself a new Bosch 4100-09 portable table saw, the one with the gravity rise stand and 25" rip capacity, and a gently used Bosch 5412 12" dual bevel sliding compound miter saw. Yay! :D

What cool new tools have you aquired lately?

I just looked into the family barn and got some new antique tools, A handsaw, nailpuller , chisel, a seriously rounded hammer and plenty of flathead screwdrivers...rust and all.:D
Sounds like a nice tablesaw...I think I'll adjust my christmas list.

I think these tools qualify as new...for the display case.;)

I got to put the saw to serious use today and I gotta tell ya, it's sweet :p . Only problem is it pulls so much power I have to shut off most of the lights cuz they're on the same 15 amp circuit, but I'm also running the shop vac with it.

Speaking of vintage tools, I have an old Rockwell Homecraft table saw, jointer combo I was going to restore. Looks like that's not gonna happen. I mignt get myself a new jointer as well, since I priced getting some maple glued up for to top and back of the hutch I'm building, and the labor would run me $300. For $500 I can get a nice 6" jointer and do it myself. :cool:

Well I have been lucky lately, picked up a few new toys
Makita 10 SCMS, King Industrial 10" cabinet saw and today the Ridid 9gl shop vac. sweet sweet sweet:D :D

makitascms.jpg

KC-10CCX-KRF-10-30L12_HR.jpg

Nice! If it weren't for Bosch's front-end bevel controls, the Makita dual slider would definately have been my first choice.

Nice table saw too. But I don't imagine you tote that around to different jobs. :D

Nice table saw too. But I don't imagine you tote that around to different jobs.
You got that right, I just use a skill portable. I have owned that same saw scms for about 10 years now and still going strong but has seen a lot of abuse and find it not quite percise enough for my shop projects so got another.

More new toys! :D

You'll see these in my built-in hutch thread, but since they're new tools I'll post it here.

The biggie is a Shop Fox 6" jointer. I'm using it on the jobsite but I think it will be a stationary shop tool after the current project. You can see here I've extended it to 24' to accomodate the 12' boards I have to edge join.

jointer_xtd.jpg

And to go with it, a Porter Cable biscuit joiner.

bisquit_joiner.jpg

I sure hope I get a lot of woodworking projects to justifiy these expenditures.

How are those tools holding up, and if you could talk about what you would have changed would help .:D

p.s....please, no life stories....:rolleyes:

The part of the table saw stand the sticks out is a real nussance. It's right were I want to stand when cutting small pieces, and need to walk around the saw to pull larger pieces through after they hit the half way point. But I realized that when I bought the saw, so can't really complain too much. I'm actually considering cutting that part off, which would only mean the saw could no longer stand up like a dolly when collapsed.

On the miter saw, the sliding parts of the fence is not true with the lower part. I'm not sure how to fix that, but it's a known problem with that saw. I have them removed for what I'm doing, and I'll see how much a problem it is whenever I do some crown molding.

Building the doors for the built-in hutch required that I go out and buy myself some more tools - a mortising machine and a tennoning jig.

How to drill a square hole? Get one of these!

Mortising-Machine-1.jpg

In the above photo you can see the stem for when I need the lever on the right side. But I'm currently using it on the left side, as shown in the photo below.

Mortising-Machine-2.jpg

There ain't much sense in making perfectly cut mortises if the tennons aren't equally perfect. For that I got meself a tennoning jig. Had to tweek it a little to work on my saw, but it works real well.

Tennoning-Jig.jpg

I'll be sure and get some pictures of the mortises and tennons as I put the doors together.

Those are a great addition to your shop. Tables and chairs anyone...put in your orders.
Now don't forget....you need room for alllllllllllthose tools.
I out grew my barn and started to put a shop in the basement. We will see how long I last with the wife see-in all that dust...in the house.:D
I did get a new antique wooden wood clamp, I'll get a pic out , as soon as the new comp.shows up.

...I did get a new antique wooden wood clamp, I'll get a pic out , as soon as the new comp.shows up.

I'd like to see that.

I've got a steel one from I think WWII era, a real work horse that I couldn't do without. I got it on ebay for about $35 iirc, which would surely cost at least double that new and probably not be as hefty.

How are those tools holding up, and if you could talk about what you would have changed would help .:D

p.s....please, no life stories....:rolleyes:
Well all I've have found on the cabinet saw is the dust port in on the left. Most of us put out dust collection on the right hand size to right away you have to many turns to get it to the left. It was dead on to the miter slot ( now that's a first).Lots of power. Again the miter saw comes with a handle at the back for compounds and they make it to long and I end up cutting off shorter.

Forgot to mention the Rigid shop vac I got has been used a lot for drywall in the past 2 weeks and it sure goes a long time without cleaning and has lots of sucktion.

I just bought myself a Rigid 18V Lithium Ion Hammer Drill and I love it. There's a toggle switch to turn on and off the hammer option. I was looking at other drills like a 20V Craftsman Li-Ion, but that was a bit more expensive, and also a Makita (or was it Hitachi...) that cost more as well. But the Rigid came with 2 batteries, a universal charger, the drill, and a nifty carrying bag. I had a wimpy craftsman drill that had a bent chuck so it wobbled and snapped several drill bits. Yeah, I'm happy with my new toy... or drill I mean. :)

Just picked up a Rigid 12" double bevel miter saw.

Setup looks good, now I gotta figure out a good project for it.

Also looking for a stand. Trying to decide if it's worth while to make my own. Been playing w/ cad drawings for design. Or buy a comercial unit. All the reviews I've seen for Dewalt stands have been great. The Ryobi is of simliar design, also gotten great reviews and $100 cheeper. The Ridgid stand has been thoroughly panned based on what I've read.

Anybody have suggestions here?

I have the dewalt. Workes just fine for going out on jobs.
I would make a table for at home, you can always use a big outfeed table for the saw, and to work on.:)

my newest toy! its a '99 craftsman 5 hp 2 cycle 21" single-stage. doesnt work too bad. was $400 new. the ones like this now are 4cycle engines. much better than the shovel!
December173.jpg

That's a pretty cool tool racsan! :D I am sure it's way better than a shovel. :p

Latest posts

Back