granite color variaition

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ugabulldog

owner/builder
Reaction score
Hi all, great forum.... We are going to install granite countertops in kitchen and my granite sub (maybe) said I could go to Lowes or wherever to pick out color and all slabs where about the same. Is this accurate or should I see the color for myself at HIS suppliers or even the ACTUAL slab being installed? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sounds to me the granite sub (maybe) isn't very picky about his product. Hmm...

Anyway, granite may be fairly consitent from the same supplier, but I doubt it would be consistent from different suppliers. I'm surprised he didn't send you directly to his supplier.

his supplier is 2 hours away from where I live, we are leaning towards venetian gold so I am wondering is there a chance his suppliers venetian gold will be much different than what I am used to seeing? thanks again

Wish I could answer that one. I see your point though, that's quite a drive. I guess your best bet is to trust him on this and expect there will be some variation from that which you looked at. Maybe emphasize to him how important it is to you, that it look like it's from the same batch, see if he flinches or shows any signs of doubt.

One thing to consider is that granite or any other natural material from the same supplier could possible vary from their own sample, as sometimes the sample could be a couple of years old and cut from a completely different batch of stone.

Any time we install a granite top or any stone product...we go with the customer and have them buy it on the spot if they approve of the actual pieces in front of them. Then we take digital pictures of the slabs and the granite company does its work from there.
Stone is all different, it may have a tint or grain running through you dont care for.
Always look at what you are buying....

You would not buy a red car without seeing it first...it could be pink.:)

Back