Grinder Pump, Out of Ideas.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet the pumps run for the same time every time, unless you are running water while it is running, you can check that.

Actually a timer would be a good idea as a backup shut off system. Start a timer at the beginning of pump and then add 30 seconds to the normal time for running water. If the timer isn’t cleared shut it down and sound the alarm. The high level alarm would warn of pump not working and the timer would warn of a float malfunction.

My mom had a basement bathroom and it feed to a deep tank that then went to a lift pump to a leach field. I ran a wire back from the pump power and hooked it to a red light and also a cheap clock I had set to 12:00. When I would go visit I would look at the clock to tell how many minutes she pumped and if the pump was on I told her the light would be on. For a while she would call me and say that light just came on! and I would say did it go off and she said yep. I would say that’s good its working now can I go back to bed?
:rofl:

won't turn on till both float. won't turn off till both hang.

Could it be as simple as circuit is not complete until both are aligned?? I have zero knowledge in this area, just spitballin'.

Last edited:
Actually a timer would be a good idea as a backup shut off system. Start a timer at the beginning of pump and then add 30 seconds to the normal time for running water. If the timer isn’t cleared shut it down and sound the alarm. The high level alarm would warn of pump not working and the timer would warn of a float malfunction.
What's the big deal if a little water is left at the end of a timed cycle. it will just be picked up next cycle...unless you're dumping you're whole hot tub at once. In that case a new cycle would just start right away.

What's the big deal if a little water is left at the end of a timed cycle. it will just be picked up next cycle...unless you're dumping you're whole hot tub at once. In that case a new cycle would just start right away.

You actually want water left you never want to run it dry. That’s why I got worried when the float got stuck it was just pumping on a dry sump.

That first post you had is very well how they do it without a relay. Just putting the contacts in series I think would do just that. Great idea. If it works like that all I need is another single float and use the one I have for the other.

You actually want water left you never want to run it dry. That’s why I got worried when the float got stuck it was just pumping on a dry sump.

That first post you had is very well how they do it without a relay. Just putting the contacts in series I think would do just that. Great idea. If it works like that all I need is another single float and use the one I have for the other.

Figure out how three way light switches work.

Latest posts

Back