Ground wire question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
I am wiring 2 shop lights together (for one switch). My question is regarding the ground wire.

Do I combine all the ground wires together (3 total, 2 from the lights, and one from the wire) and from the other end were I tapped in the hot wire (current outlet), screw the ground cable to the green screw?:D

If its not the ground screw on the outlet, do I use the the ground screw from the switch?

TIA,
tntrac

Last edited:
All ground wires connect together all the time.

If you dont have a ground wire, what do you do with a fixture that comes with a ground wire?

If you dont have a ground wire, what do you do with a fixture that comes with a ground wire?

If you do not have a grounded circuit then you just ignore the ground wire that comes with the fixture.

Thanks Kok, what would I do with that grounded wire? I see on the new bracket that comes with the new fixture a green screw, do I just loop it around that?

If your incoming wires are just hot & netrual and the new fixture has a ground wire and green ground screw then yes, you can just loop around the screw but, the fixture will NOT be grounded.

yeah I only have a hot ( black ) and neutral ( White ) wire. I wish my house had a grounding wire but its a 40 year house and I assuming they didnt run ground wires through houses back then?

Thanks for the help on what to do with the grounding wire, Like you said it wont be grounded. It will just be there for show,lol

Is it possible to have a grounding wire run through the house, I can only imagine thats alot of construction and cost?

Back