Grounding new light fixture

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtheelder2020

Reaction score
While in the middle of painting the kitchen (multiple other projects put on hold) the wife decided we need to replace the light fixture over the table (original to 1951 house). None of the original wiring is grounded. My assumption is that the only options I have for the ground wire that will come with the new fixture are:
1) run a ground wire from the fixture box in the attic down to a clamp on the cold water pipe in the crawl space (that ain't gonna happen); or
2) some version of "tuck it out of the way and pretend you didn't see it."

Or is there an option 3?

No way would I be trying to run a ground wire for just a light fixture.

Option 2,, But if the box is metal, I would attach to the metal box.

I would pretend it wasn't there. Make sure the switch breaks the hot wire.

I will do that - but why am I doing it?
I have also connected a green wire from a lamp to a metal box I know is not grounded and there is really no reason to do that I can see. It just prettied up the job I guess. I have also put a wire nut on the green wire and stuck it up in the box and no real reason to do that also except I don’t like to see stranded copper lose in a box. Piece of electrical tape folded over the end is what I would do now.

I have also connected a green wire from a lamp to a metal box I know is not grounded ...
Shortly after saying I would do that I changed my mind because somewhere in the future someone might see that ground wire and assume the box is grounded.

Shortly after saying I would do that I changed my mind because somewhere in the future someone might see that ground wire and assume the box is grounded.
That's correct. Years ago I would have snipped the unwanted ground off. but in the same kind of thinking I figure now maybe someday I will want it.

Back