Grout, can I not use it?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumz

Reaction score
I have plank floor tiles (35x8) I'm putting down in a space 48x32 which will house a stack washer dryer. The stack fills the space. Can I just butt the tiles together and skip groat? There are no nibs on the tiles so they will be tight.
Thanks in advance for your time.

You would be in big trouble if the tile police catch you. You would lose any benefit of water resistance.

You can make your grout lines as narrow as you like but you should have them. Use grout and SEAL THE GROUT a few days after it dries. Reseal it from time to time if you see that water doesn't bead up on it anymore.

The idiot who owned this house I purchased a few years back decided not to use grout. When water spills, you can't get it out, there is various lippage that could have been hidden by the grout, and honestly just destroyed what would have been a nice, full house of tile. Once I get the energy, I will be jacking out this tile and replacing it with grouted tile.

Thanks guys, looks like I'm grouting 1/16ths

Perfect. The smaller the grout, the better it looks. Since it is that small, you can get away with a non-sanded grout, which is an easier installation and doesn't wear out your sponges.

Back