H2O intake floating in midair? Insulation ideas?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeA

Reaction score
Hi all! Renoing our house and the water intake is just poked through the wall. Seems the contractor that replaced it didn't want to put it through one of the other holes in the foundation, so this was his solution.

The homeowner had built a (now rotted ant-eaten) box lined with blue polyiso around it... however, see above re rotted and ant-eaten...

Any suggestions for better ways to keep this from freezing this winter? We're in Vancouver so the weather is temperate, and the poor insulation around the hole probably helped keep it warm... but I'm trying to seal up the house, so it won't have the benefit of that heat leakage this winter to keep it flowing.

Attachments

• IMG_20200902_172103.jpg
    IMG_20200902_172103.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200902_172116.jpg
    IMG_20200902_172116.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 9
I have a drain pipe that does something similar, goes back to the previous owner so that makes it about forty years like that. First, since it looks like it's coming through a wood frame wall, seal the wall with an epoxy type (two-part) wood filler. Mine pokes through a block wall, so I used cement to fill the hole. You may be okay with just wrapping the pipe, but I would ( and did) build a box with foam insulation inside. Pressure treated wood makes sense here, but even without, it is a low tech and easy to rebuild solution. So even if you need to replace every so often, not much of a hassle.

The Canadian plumbing code was not followed . The pipe is to be under the frost line .https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/1-2-Family-Dwelling-Inspection-Stages-External-February-2016.pdf
Water Service - Size of pipe per sprinkler permit drawings (1 ½"minimum) or 40 mm - Soil conditions and bury at 24 inches below (depth of bury) - Location of city connection relative to other services i.e. gas electric etc. - Connection to city water service with proper piping and fittings.
I would sue the previous owner . A good job will cost a couple of thousand .

Back