Hammock in cement ceiling.. PLEASE HELP

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammock1707

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I got a 2 person hammock from Nicaragua and have been trying to look for a place to put it.. Since I have no support beams or studs to drill into I am forced to hang it from the cement ceiling... My friend let me borrow his hammer drill and I went to Home Depot and they didnt know if it would work or not??? And wasn't sure if I should use anchors with a fish eye or lag bolts with fish eyes?? Maybe I could use a few so there is more support?? Not sure how much weight they will hold?? I saw a few youtube videos and it looks straight forward but they are going into the side of the cement wall.. Not the ceiling! I'm about 200lbs and my gf is about 330lbs ;) lol just kidding she's about 120lbs and I wouldn't want it to rip out of the ceiling if we were on it... Any help at all would be much appreciated.. Thx in advanced guys!!

Cheers

Also should I put epoxy in the whole after I screw the hole and then put the anchor or lag bolt in for added
Support???

Concrete ceiling, how thick is it? what is above it? How close to the edge are you planing on drilling?
Welcome to the site.

I would use something like this. It can hold 5000 pounds.

10PN67_AS02.JPG

A hammock hanging from the ceiling - or - or any overhead surface - is just going to give you a big "V" when you climb in. It has to be stretched to give you a horizontal surface. Get or make a hammock stand. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=hammock+stand&t=ffsb&ia=products
Next question: what do you mean you don't have any studs? What are your walls made of?

Well I live in a condo on the 17th floor so it's all cement above me
Would there be studs above me??? Or just cement and metal bars I'm sure to hold it together.. Not sure how far I should drill in? If the hammock is going to create a V shape from hanging it from the ceiling??? Should I add a few more screws and hook up some mountain climbing hooks and a rope and attach them together? Or will that still not work..?? I was going to put the bolts really apart from eachother so it's not hanging to the ground.. It will be sitting up high above the windows.. Thx for the help guys... You think those anchors will hold 2 people? Pretty easy to do?? Cheers

Hope you are very good friends with your neighbors above because you are going to get to know them much better shortly. Follow SNS advice and build a floor sitting frame.

The tighter you make the mounting points the more you multiply the force the anchors will be seeing. The weight of you and your girl could be 10X or more.

Let us know how it works out.

Strength of the bolt is depending on size but do you have permission to drill into the deck, they are not removable.

they're called wedge anchors, lead shielded lags, drop-in's, &/or lots of other names - all suitable for use in mixed company :rofl: you want to check pullout force & shear strength to be safe,,, remember the anchor will be subject to lateral loads, too

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back