Hanging string lights

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WasVilla

Reaction score
String lights or "market lights" have become very popular. There are two basic ways to hang them: (1) just run the string of lights as they come out of the package, or (2) run a wire strand (e.g., coated aircraft wire) and thread the string lights on the strand. Does anybody have experience with either option? The coated wire would be stronger in wind with less strain on the actual light wiring.

Your thoughts? 1631135889212.png

I set the post, add galv. Eye bolts, run the guy wires using wire rope clamps to attach to the eye bolts, then use cable ties to attach the lights to the cable.
If you do it right one person can stand on one end attaching the ties, and the other can be pulling it along the cable with a piece of rope attached to the end of the string of wires.

I have to assume that the connections on festoon lighting is built to handle the weight of the assembly.
My concern would be the chafing of the wire attached to whatever method you use to attach but, then again, I would suspect that the wiring would be built with this in mind too.

Back